Gasoline prices Skyrocketing!

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Pellet stoves are a good option too, if you guys have them around.

The pellets are a bit expensive, but they can run unattended, which is not a good idea with a conventional wood stove.

My friend up in NH had a couple of them heating a 17th century house to good effect.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I looked at Pellet stoves but there is the need to buy the pellets and then you are not suppose to burn logs in there so I opted for the log stove as in times of stress, wood is a relaible resource in most places and it is sustainable over time. I have about a dozen trees growing in the back yard to be planted somewhere as every year small trees spring up from propellers which are from a Silver Maple tree. I could grow Oak but they take much longer.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
it's jumped up 50 cents a litre here in MEL in the last week...
I was gonna fill up the day it went up. Good thing I checked before I went.
It can wait.... Plenty of tanks in the basement carpark I can siphon. LOL

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I've crossed between Az and Mn quite a few times this season and New Mexico ($3.68), and Nebraska/Oklahoma ($3.60) For Diesel but $3.20 was possible if you searched hard. LOVES/TA had the highest prices and I stay away from them, the best prices were at Casey's

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
These knumbskull in the gas industry are going to force people to go to Electric cars even if they don't like them just to get away from abusive price behaviour. How poor the Middle east will become when no one wants their oil that has been in demand all these years. It is time to transition to a new form of energy and I will do my part in the remaining years I may drive a car. I can remember saying no more gas cars as of the last time these idiots did this. Maybe already 5 years ago. The World is waking up not only Tesla but all the other cars made in Germany. It is time to wakw up and stop being abused by these oil psychopaths. No insult intended to Lee as he is just doing his job.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
These knumbskull in the gas industry are going to force people to go to Electric cars even if they don't like them just to get away from abusive price behaviour. How poor the Middle east will become when no one wants their oil that has been in demand all these years. It is time to transition to a new form of energy and I will do my part in the remaining years I may drive a car. I can remember saying no more gas cars as of the last time these idiots did this. Maybe already 5 years ago. The World is waking up not only Tesla but all the other cars made in Germany. It is time to wakw up and stop being abused by these oil psychopaths. No insult intended to Lee as he is just doing his job.
Wait till you are owned by the electric company psychopaths and the battery psychopaths... :)

You ain't seen nothing yet.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I don't like Gas cars anymore but the Tesla company will have my business next.
I wouldn't dash off to the Tesla dealer with a shoebox full of Rubles just yet...
I wish I could find the article, just spent 45 minutes looking for it, but fuel costs for a gasoline car can run from 10¢ to 18¢ per mile (4 to 6 cylinder sedan), and around 70¢ for an electric. Charging your car will take 75% of your 100A house current, and if you have more than three neighbors charging their cars simultaneously, your whole neighborhood will have a dark-brown to blackout.

Face an obvious fact- the entire world is based on petroleum for energy, as well as plastics, medicines, and uncountable by-products. If you just go and ditch the entire system, everyone will be caught in a lurch. There is no viable alternative at the moment.

I have a 6 cyl. 3.7l engine in my 2005 Dodge Dakota, I kept mileage figures since my first tank of gas. Images of my spreadsheets: Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 13.52.26.png Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 13.52.45.png

MarkWComer

Tagline
Wait till you are owned by the electric company psychopaths and the battery psychopaths... :)

You ain't seen nothing yet.
Screaming environmentalists in a tither about mining Lithium, closing down coal- fired generators, thinking that electricity just comes from two slots in the wall. All of their contradictory arguments collapse under their own weight...

Lately I find that watching the entire world collapse is great entertainment...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The product carbon footprint to make a Tesla is significantly higher than a gas powered auto. 70% of US electricity comes from fossil fuel and when you factor in all the inefficiencies from the primary fuel, to heat, to steam, to turbine, to transformers, to high tension line, to transformer to final step down, to charger within the vehicle, the energy per actual gallon of primary fuel that produced that energy is pretty awful by the time it hits your home.

I am an environmental advocate but I also factor in common sense.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Electric damn quick off the line. gonna need a real car to travel but around town and 0-60 rocket would be nice, plug in at home and have a few hundred range would cover a lot of what I do. But for those of you in the middle of the country where miles and miles need to be covered, liquid fuels seem to be the way to go.

Mandate route trucks, crap that goes back to a central location at night and only travel around cities a hundred miles or so a day to use those limited range fuels...propane tanks, hydrogen, electrons and such. This move is happening without govt intervention for some of the forward thinking companies.

I'd like an electric on a solar array and a big gas hog v-12 or something if I can redo my garage.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
gas buddy is helpful. For me, DE is 10 miles away and PA has the highest gas taxes in the country so having options, NJ included if I'm going that way, the bridges have tolls, or MD when traveling south are all options. Fortunately, local Costco built about 5 years ago has gas for 20 cents less than all the other local stations.

MarkWComer

Tagline
gas buddy is helpful. For me, DE is 10 miles away and PA has the highest gas taxes in the country so having options, NJ included if I'm going that way, the bridges have tolls, or MD when traveling south are all options. Fortunately, local Costco built about 5 years ago has gas for 20 cents less than all the other local stations.
I don’t pick about gas prices that much since most are within a few cents. Given a 10¢ variance between gas stations and my 16 gallon tank, the difference is $1.60. I buy by the tankful, don’t do the $5 here, $4 there thing, so a $1.60 variance on a $40 tank of gas isn’t worth the bother for me. A Costco membership makes no sense for me- I live alone and buying in bulk is a waste.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I have a bjs membership which is $50 per year. I do buy a few things in bulk, but fuel savings offsets the $50 per year easily. Probably paid off in two months.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Our Costco is too far away for that, Jim, and the GA taxes are more than TN, so it doesn't work out anyway. I have three stations within two miles of my house that are within 3¢ of each other; I just pick the one I'm closest to at the time.

But down south, at least in TVA-land - electricity for cars is reasonably inexpensive. Keeping an eye on the Ford Lightening right now but the towing distance is so small that it's useless. Gotta wait too long to charge to go the next 100 miles. The technology is coming, there's no doubt about it but right now, it's not there for practical applications.

Last edited:
Tagline
Retired
Several of the stations got below $3.00 this past weekend despite a couple of stations were hugging the $3.25 selling price. Today 4 of the stations reporting are at $2.94. Its hard to figure out where prices are really heading when the futures are up & down almost hourly.