WOA PL400 output

calman46

Journeyman
I looked around but didn't find anything here. Someone here must have measured the power output of a full WOA mod PL400 . My setup is McIntosh C33 (recapped), WOA PL400 , McIntosh XR16 (recapped). Thanks

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
There are several variables such as the voltage output of the PL transformer, no two are exactly the same.
Make sure you have 120VAC at the wall outlet, more is better.
Disconnect your speakers, find a 1 KHz or 2 KHz test tone on the Internet and download it to your phone.
Plug your phone into the McIntosh C33 AUX input and crank up the volume into the WOPL 400. You will hear when it starts to distort because the output devices will begin to squeal. Back off a hair.
Measure the RMS AC voltage across one speaker output. Double that for your peak power. Don't leave the full power applied for too long.
Use Ohms Law to covert the doubled voltage to Power in Watts.
Easy.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Pheonix member Grapplesaw had my 400 on his analyzer after getting a WO board and upgraded outputs. He reported "265 watts before distortion".

calman46

Journeyman
There are several variables such as the voltage output of the PL transformer, no two are exactly the same.
Make sure you have 120VAC at the wall outlet, more is better.
Disconnect your speakers, find a 1 KHz or 2 KHz test tone on the Internet and download it to your phone.
Plug your phone into the McIntosh C33 AUX input and crank up the volume into the WOPL 400. You will hear when it starts to distort because the output devices will begin to squeal. Back off a hair.
Measure the RMS AC voltage across one speaker output. Double that for your peak power. Don't leave the full power applied for too long.
Use Ohms Law to covert the doubled voltage to Power in Watts.
Easy.
No dummy load ? I never did that way. Thanks

mlucitt

You can certainly use a dummy load but you need to account for the impedance (resistance) of the load at your test frequency. I have done it with 1000W rated PA speakers attached, but it gets a tad loud. Can't do it with a WOPL 700, just too damn loud.