Tascam 122 Mk III Gear C available

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Tascam 122 Mk III and other decks
For those of you who are aware of my service and to those that need help to repair their Tascam deck that use this Gear C, I have the part in stock now and they are available for you or your Technician to repair the deck with. They have been custom made so they are no longer $6.00 but then Teac no longer has them to sell. I am selling them for $26 plus a postage amount depending on the quantity you order. A few orders I have are for more than one.

These are Resin Cast and have been tested to be as good as the originals.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Cool shit there Sam, a guy can get anything made these days.....all it takes is money..././

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
You might think so until you try to come upon a Reel table for a Reel to Reel deck. That is a pretty difficult item to have made. It is pot metal cast and then with a thread in it and then rubber sheet insulators. I can't see anyone making these in small quantities and for cheap. These may be more difficult to find that heads.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Want a challenge? Tape guides on Teac cassette decks that are made of plastic and have always broken due to abuse- they hold the cassette cover (door) on. How about the switches at the rear of Tascam cassette decks as it is small and for the balanced and unbalanced switching for input. How about the head switch in the Technics RS models? These are just a few things that I have not found a solution for.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Regarding the 122 Mk III deck, I get requests that they want a motor fixed then I mention the gear and what comes along with the gear is a 2 hour job of taking the transport apart to clean all the old grease out and to apply Lubriplate 105 so that the head base slides up easy as it should. People need to be aware that just changing some caps on a motor by itself or changing a gear is only 1/2 the job and when that grease hardens up more you are likely then going to have to do the rest of the job and maybe with another $30 gear which may be in short supply at some point.
Motors often need the caps but due to the damage of those SMD caps also many times the traces repaired or wired across to make the motor reliable again.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Tascam 122 Mk III and other decks
For those of you who are aware of my service and to those that need help to repair their Tascam deck that use this Gear C, I have the part in stock now and they are available for you or your Technician to repair the deck with. They have been custom made so they are no longer $6.00 but then Teac no longer has them to sell. I am selling them for $26 plus a postage amount depending on the quantity you order. A few orders I have are for more than one.

These are Resin Cast and have been tested to be as good as the originals.

are the chinee ones for $14 (free shipping) any good?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255045794571?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I may have one here and they are injection molded and I have been told they do not work as well as mine and I sometimes send people to E bay due to being in far off countries where my gear and $22 postage would be more than $50 for a stupid plastic gear. People who have bought them there did buy my gear so I wonder what happen to the Chinese one.
This gear is not a regular type gear as it has a helical twist to the upper section . Maybe theirs does not? I have one here but never tried it yet.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
All I can say is try one out and if you clean the deck of old grease like I do maybe it will work. It does seem that the most stress is going into that gear as it is the only one that cracks and break in half as I find them. Found one last week like that. The resin that my machinist makes them out of is suppose to be better than the old stuff due to improvements in formulas. I think what will really make them last is not the gear alone but the mechanism being cleaned and greased with Lubriplate 105. I have had zero decks come back since I do them hence my 6 month warranty. I have had one deck come back due to door seating problem but this guy was very full of trouble in the noise he heard and he just was not happy with anything it seemed. Maybe he could fix it better himself. That I think was a Mk II which does not have the gear. Remember the motor also needs work.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Well, I can see a shortage of gears coming as it requires a major investment of mine to stock just 50 of them and they sell far too fast.
Resin cast gears must be superior to those on E bay that are cheap. If they are Injection molded then why so they need $14 like some have said to
me when discussing my price it is only a $2.00 gear. I told the guy who wanted one for $2.00 that if he finds them for $2.00 each I will buy them from him. I get the feeling that some people are not living in the 3rd or 4th dimension which is where we are.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Sam: If you want to seriously look at reel table manufacturing, let's talk. I propose they be made of aluminum billet, rather than a casting.

You can't throw a rock around here without hitting an aerospace approved machine shop. 6061 is easier to get than bottled water around here too.

An idea of NOS cost, and some drawings to work up a price and see if it make any sense would be needed. I would have a run done for these, so an idea on quantity would be good too. The more we do the less per piece it would cost. I just have no idea of the market on them, but I'm sure a high-quality product could be made; the issue is if that product is cost-competitive.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
There will come a time when they need to be made but then the cost of such a complicated part with fins and with it's size is going to make it expensive. They are selling at times over $100 each and the damage to these a lot of time is due to improper shipping and stupid packing practice.
Plus they are damaged by face dropping. Maybe they could be made in two parts like the Otari decks are. I guess this would need to be figured out.
The most detailed part is the fins that go up into the reel. Then the spindle parts that lock the reel down.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So I guess we should reverse-engineer an Otari table so that it could fit the Tascam.

If I’m understanding, that would make is serviceable and probably easier to manufacture.

Cosmetically, it should look like the Tascam part too. But the original was made so a replacement can be made as well.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I think some Otari unit have Teac reel tables on them but not the other way around. Yhe otari idea was just because the separate parts might be easier to make being smaller. On the Otari item the reel table platter mounts on the spindle part while the Teac reel table is a complete piece but the spindle reel lock is a screw in part with a head on it and a skirt to stop the three wind from rotating more than 30 degrees.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Adding to the cost factor is that aluminum has basically doubled in cost since the beginning of 2021...it is affecting everything I do lately.

Steel has definitely doubled in that short time span.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Shortages around the world are causing the price increase of wood, steel and aluminum not just in this country. So much of it is imported anymore and most buyers aren't willing to pay a bit more so countries with cheaper labor have the advantage. We had steel beams from South Africa in some of our constructions clear back in the 80s.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A lot of Chinese ....steel wopund up in oilfield tubulars and pumping units, wayyyyyyyy inferior. The pumping units were soft, like butter and the pipe was VERY inconsistent...didn't last long and the shit was weeded out. The Koreans however DO make good pipe, as does Japan....when done to API spec...