Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Got them done today... finally!!! I have not cranked it yet as one of the woofers has never been run yet so letting it run at low volume overnight to break in.... but from what I can tell so far even at low volume they are going to be kick ass, I'll do a follow up after I live with them for a few days
do1.JPG do2.JPG do3.JPG do4.JPG
do5.JPG do6.JPG

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Nothing like the sound of nice new 'fresh' speakers.
Just plug everything in and enjoy them. Whatever the volume.
The only time you should get worried is when you're 'red lining' your amps .

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Well been running them and all I can say is wow. great! Wish you guys could hear this set up.

I think it is safe to say I have reached my destination with this "upgrade". This whole thing started almost 2 1/2 year ago, I had originally planned on just up grading my old speakers but ended up with beast speakers, multiple amps, and an active cross over. It was a lot of work to restore the beat up Altec 816 cabs then build the sub woofer cabs but it was so worth the work and time. I have well documented the complete journey from beginning to end in this thread, maybe some day someone will find the info useful. Everyone who has heard this set up smiles a lot, they are very impressed, one guy wants to hire me to DJ a pig roast later this summer (that will not happen), even my wife was impressed and she was not easy to impress, it only took her 30 seconds of listening and she said "don't you ever sell these!" and that was with only 1 sub connected, the second one was still being built. My only regret is she is not here to see and hear the final results. If I could I would thank Mike Halverson aka JustMike, he inspired, and supported me in the beginning and got me on the right track with tons of info and advice that made this set up what it is today. I also want to thank all those here who have followed this thread from the beginning with kind words of encouragement and support. I am happy all the work is done, all that is left to do is sit back and enjoy... and boy will I enjoy!!!

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
roccus, [eventually] try sticking a heap of blue tack or plasticine around your 511B's. Amazing what a difference it can make.
Some people are prone to hearing a bit of a 'ring' from them. You'll know what I mean once you hear it. Some have gone to the extreme of cutting through the vanes to stop the tops and bottoms from resonating. That's a bit drastic, but I've found that just deadening the tops and bottoms of the horns works well enough. :)

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
roccus, [eventually] try sticking a heap of blue tack or plasticine around your 511B's. Amazing what a difference it can make.
Some people are prone to hearing a bit of a 'ring' from them. You'll know what I mean once you hear it. Some have gone to the extreme of cutting through the vanes to stop the tops and bottoms from resonating. That's a bit drastic, but I've found that just deadening the tops and bottoms of the horns works well enough. :)
Actually those are 811B horns, I am thinking of getting a pair of the larger 511's. Mike told me I should get the 511's but at the time when I began this I was thinking of building a pair of Altec model 19's and the 811's is what is used in those. I see this vintage Altec stuff is starting to sky rocket. But yes I know people tar them and stuff to tighten the sound up.....

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Looks like a killer setup Keith!! Enjoy indeed!!!
Thanks Lee, I am glad I could do this. I don't think I could now being down to just one pay check.... looks like my dreams of a 700 are out the window now, but I feel fortunate to have what I have...