Any video projector buffs here?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Got the video projector all set up, fabbed a ceiling mount for the projector. The audio cable just got here today so I can connect it to my preamp... also need to get a couple pull down window shades to block the light a bit
proj1.JPG
proj2.JPG

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Watch the ventilation on the projector or she will overheat. The bulbs make a big bang when they go, unless its LED. They all need cooling space.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Watch the ventilation on the projector or she will overheat. The bulbs make a big bang when they go, unless its LED. They all need cooling space.
So I should maybe keep spare bulb on hand? Are they easy to change?

derek92994

Tagline
I burned my fingers on LEDs, too…
I would believe it, they throw a lot of light. I never blew a bulb in traditional projectors, they did lose brightness though. I had a sony one last more than 4000 hours but it had custom cooling. Always went overkill with cooling.

derek92994

Tagline
So I should maybe keep spare bulb on hand? Are they easy to change?
Easy to change yes, but if you let them blow up glass goes everywhere inside the enclosure, a bit messy. Keep the cooling and ventilation space up and stay within the hour limits of the bulb and you'll be fine. I am not sure how LED's behave when they go, I had the traditional style bulbs, NEC, Sony, Acer, and Viewsonic projectors. Gave in and got a Sony 4k TV recently, sharper picture but not as big screen as a projector can throw.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Lamp life, hours of continuous use, expected number of hours before it blows. Doesn’t mean turn it off after an hour!
OK so you saying I should keep a log every time I use it for how long I ran it? Specs say lamp life is 50,000 hours.

mlucitt

OK so you saying I should keep a log every time I use it for how long I ran it? Specs say lamp life is 50,000 hours.
Some of the newer units do that for you and will flash a reminder to replace the bulb because the internal clock has logged 50,000 hours. The bulb is the most expensive item in the projector, so they want to sell them.