Phase Linear 700 Power Amp w/ Original Box & Manual

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...gn=email-featured-ad-click&utm_term=649747315

Up for sale is a one-of-a-kind piece of Phase Linear history. This is a one owner, NEW OLD STOCK Phase Linear 700 power amp. Never plugged in, never played. Only opened to verify contents. In fact, the envelope containing the manual and other paperwork is still sealed. The carton/box even has the original packing slip still sealed inside its plastic shipping envelope affixed to the box! I did not attempt to plug this in and test it. It will probably need to be brought up slowly on a variac to properly evaluate it. The original cord wrap is still in place and is biodegrading as seen in the pictures. Pretty cool!

I will not be plugging this in to test it. I will leave it to the new owner to do with it as they wish. Either leave it as a New Old Stock one-of-a-kind collectable, or use it as a brand new amplifier in their system. One thing is for sure, this is like going back to 1971 and buying this at your local Hi-Fi shop! This will be double-boxed with lots of void fill for safe transport to its new owner. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks!

Some excerpts from The Absolute Sound regarding the Phase Linear 700:

Weighing 45 pounds and selling for $749, with a certified output of over 350 watts per channel, the Phase Linear 700 amplifier set the audio world on its ear. When it was commercially released in 1971, few took 27-year-old Robert W. (Bob) Carver’s claims for it seriously. Remember, this was Carver’s first commercial product and he was then completely unknown to audiophiles.

To support cooling (eliminating the need for a loud and noisy fan), lower the overall operating temperature, and facilitate component servicing, Bob cleverly mounted both the output transistors and the power transformer to the exterior of the chassis. The output transistors were visible from the back, mounted directly to the rear heat sinks. The front panel of the first-generation 700 was asymmetrically laid out, with the large VU meters and control knobs mounted towards the right side. At a width of just 19 inches, the unit was easily rack mounted.

Given its then-gargantuan output, remarkable reliability, and convenient mounting capability, the 700 soon became a favorite of recording studio engineers, rock bands, and jazz musicians. And it wasn’t long after Harry Pearson’s very favorable review in the very first issue of The Absolute Sound —celebrating the 700’s tight bass, midrange clarity, and high-frequency definition—that the amp would be adopted by and become the darling of the audiophile community, as well.