Phase Linear 400B....?

ALLENWERK

New Around These Parts
Hey everyone,

I’m not finding a lot of info about this model of amp. I recently picked up this rad stack from a local ad, and I didn’t get a lot of info other than it was a custom built piece by a Phase Linear employee. Was there a production 400B?
I’m anxious to fire it up and see what it’s capable of!
Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
How about a look inside? Pop the top and take a few pics. It would interesting to see what they had for PS caps..

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
That amp sure is interesting. Maybe a series 0 point 5? My 400 series 2 has 400B marked on the transformer, but my understanding is it's due to having been returned to the factory for repair and then resold as a factory "second".
Yours looks like a prototype, very extremely cool! Probably worth big bucks to a collector. PXL_20201108_160935693.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
That amp sure is interesting. Maybe a series 0 point 5? My 400 series 2 has 400B marked on the transformer, but my understanding is it's due to having been returned to the factory for repair and then resold as a factory "second".
Yours looks like a prototype, very extremely cool! Probably worth big bucks to a collector. View attachment 47751
Nice insulated transformer bolts...

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
When did Phase Linear start using the XPL 910 outputs? I have 2 400's that came with them but they were 8 fin models

ALLENWERK

New Around These Parts
Here’s some interior photos. It looks like the sheet metal is cut out for the VU meters and possibly hand formed along one side? Let me know if these photos are helpful or want any closeups of a component and I’ll try my best. Great idea about the dim bulb tester FredR, thanks.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Attachments