Friends of Phase Linear

Rob

New Around These Parts
Well, The 400 faceplate had some extra holes drilled in it for some reason. It works and I am getting ready to install the one I got from Iaatsch. The 200's have some rust to clean up and one of them I was told by the guy who sold me them, that it blew the fuse when he plugged it in. So 2 of the 3 work. Greg is doing a full restore on the preamp.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
I won't be sending him money anytime soon!

I started oogling Carver TFM amps in Crutchfield way back in the late 80's I think it was. Crutchfield sold Carver for a bit if ya didn't know. The meters and the outrageous power had me curious. Anyhow found a TFM 25 on ebay and got it as new prices were more that I wanted to pay. Loved the power and the meters. Then gravitated towards the looks and bigger power of the PL700's and bought one on ebay from DesMoines for 400 bucks. Had just been in shop and came with a receipt on the work, a premonition on paper. Well it worked and sounded so much better than the Carver, was really delighted. I remember line dancing with my family playing thru the D9's one Christmas, never knew I could have sound like that in my living room. Surprising it didn't blow that night, but shortly after it did, and again, and again, did alot of work on that unit, but I'm just a parts replacer at best. Well anyway never got quite right until Lee fixed her up with a quasi WOPLing. She (Cathy) trouble free except when I blew it with some poor probing. Have a 400 full comp and that 700, and another 700 someday will have a full comp makeover via Lee when employment finds me again!

Seems I'm stuck on these amps with WOPL around. Think I would have reluctantly pulled out due to frustration if not for Joe's engineering/supply work.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
LOTS OF NOISE!!Hell, I have 300 uv with the POWER OFF!!
My PL2000 is still doing the always "on" even when off thing even after I removed the resistor across the power switch lugs and replaced the 2 caps with values per the manual. If the tuner is on and selected as the input, I still hear it, though very low volume and noisy. Thinking it's a issue with the caps across the lugs.
Just haven't found time to investigate further. It sounds fantastic when powered, no audible hum or noise at all in all modes.
Only does this on the tuner input, no issues with the DAC on Aux or turntable on Phono.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
LOTS OF NOISE!!Hell, I have 300 uv with the POWER OFF!!
Just a thought, lack of self shorting RCAs on that unit? I kept my RCAs original. Every original RCA is self shorting, found that out when I cleaned mine before resoldering to the pcb.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just a thought, lack of self shorting RCAs on that unit? I kept my RCAs original. Every original RCA is self shorting, found that out when I cleaned mine before resoldering to the pcb.
I have shorted them all, to no effect..