Fred's Toob amp(s) build.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
It's been a while since I have done a pair of these but It's all coming back. Fred went out and got a pair of Tube amps and since his boss won't let him take any time off, he asked if I would be interested in building them. Of course I couldn't turn Fred down so he shipped them heavy bastards to me and they arrived yesterday (I think), and I put a couple hours in READING THE DOCUMENTATION which is like a 100 pages long. Yeah, and only a couple pictures.... I like pictures....... These amps are like 125 WPC and they run KT120 Output tubes. So it's got enough power (not for Lee) to get the blood pumping. I'll put a link to the site if anybody is interested in the spec's. Anywho.... I opened up the box and here are these gorgeous Red Powder Coated chassis' (nobody likes green anymore?), and he had the transformers done in a cream color and they do look sharp. I gotta go to my other computer to post a pic or two. While I'm gone feel free to give good ol Fred some shit about what sounds better, a tube amp, a solid state amp OR A FRIGGIN WOPL. Just kidding. He's got plenty of both. I had the honor of building a wopl for him but I think he just wanted to look inside before he donated it to GW :)

I never liked the looks under the hood of a tube amp. Wires all over the place, 500volts to blast yer ass back to the stoner-age.... I'm gonna invent wireless wires. Maybe Joe will help me (Oxygen Free of course)

a couple pics in a minute or two......

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
OK, back on the $6.00 laptop.

The amps have an option for Auto-Bias which is kinda like that guy "Set It, and Forget it"? so we'll give that a test drive I gotta get back to work. I had to drop off ammo at UPS, and a WOPL at Fedex so....

These tube sockets mount to the Stainless steel chassis but the 2 driver tube sockets are board mounted and it took me 2 hours to get them level plumb, and non-crookeder. It brought back memories. The red looks great too. Bemember my Italian Racing Red WOPL'd Clair amps? Kinda like that only different. More later. It's almost beer:thirty too.

IMG_6471.jpg IMG_6472.jpg

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
The Dynaco's are the most upgraded valve amplifiers in the world, they can sound fantastic when driving horn speaker systems

BlueCrab

Journeyman
My son and I built the ST-70 version which he now has in his apartment where he's not living since he's back with us due to the covid. Paired it with my Dynaco PAT5 that I built in 1979 when I was living in Amsterdam. Bob Latino makes some nice systems - if you like tubes (I do).

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
There are numerous companies who make upgrades for the old Dynaco tube gear. From minor upgrades to full blown with everything new except transformers. They also sell new complete amplifiers kits

George S.

I built Dynaco solid state gear back in the day, early 70s, lost it piece by piece in the 80s. Always wanted the PL gear I have now. Tube gear would be cool to experience. Hope those amps turn out SWEET!

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
The glow of the tubes are so cool, you're gonna love it. Kids and grandkids ask a lot of questions about tubes. Tell the grandkids that there is fire in the bottles and they get very curious

Last edited:
Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
My father used to have an Audio Research D76 Amp along with a matching SP-3 Pre. Had to sell about ten years ago because of the High Prices of replacing all the Tubes. Sweet Sound but ornery expensive to keep maintained.