PL 400...the beginning

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I can see now we are going to have to start a 12-step program for PL addiction. Sniff, the first step is admitting you have an PL addiction, YOU DO!
Guilty. My excuse is I figured when I retire there may not be much supply of original amps. Figured I'd build an inventory. Also have a stock of Joe's parts and a boatload of 95/96 TO-3s. Will probably start selling them off for extra retirement income. :)

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Guilty. My excuse is I figured when I retire there may not be much supply of original amps. Figured I'd build an inventory. Also have a stock of Joe's parts and a boatload of 95/96 TO-3s. Will probably start selling them off for extra retirement income. :)

Damn, and I just ran out of 96's......

Cajunmech

New Around These Parts
You have a few avenues of approach. Are you just looking to put a DC Protection circuit in or are you wanting to cure the ills of a 40 year old time bomb? A DCP may save your speakers but a full upgrade may save your house. Your choice.

View attachment 45116
I would very much like to cure the ills of the time bomb. Where do I send it and what should this cost be? Thanks to everyone. Also I'm sorry to ask but what does WOPL refer to? Told you I was green, greener than a green clover!

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Hmmmmm, I only have 2. I'm such a Lame-O
Working on mine.....in progress. Designing the speaker build in my free time. So do I at least go from “middle of the road” straight into “oncoming traffic”?.........

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Check with Joe, he may know if any of the builders have openings to get your amp done. I think me and Lee figured out that Parts alone were nearing $1000. Labor would be about 40-50 hours worth. I usually don't recommend pumping that much into a 400 when the parts are about the same for a 700B/II

You could easily have $1800 into a 400 and a 700B (if you have a core) would be not much more. It all comes down to selling in MY book. WOPL'd 400's don't go for nearly as much as a WOPL'd 700B/II and you'll get twice the power (500WPC RMS out of the 700). They are not cheap but for an amp that will last you a lifetime????

Cajunmech

New Around These Parts
Wow I wasn't expecting that much of an investment. Don't think I can go that far. I will have to start with the DC protection for the speakers and go from there. This started out as a birthday gift and the costs keep on a risen'. I would love to be able to invest that much but I need to stay a bit grounded. Can you tell me how to or what to or who can assist me with the DC current protection?

Cajunmech

New Around These Parts
So today I opened the metal case just look inside. And there was a screw missing from one of the capacitors that connects a buss bar across them, two of the fuse holders were so corroded that you couldn't open them. I got one open and now I can't get out the blown fuse. I contacted the seller from Ebay and got a return label and I am sending it back for a refund. Does anyone want to sell me one of their 400's or should I buy a 700? Where can I get a reputable amp from in these series?

Thanks for everyones help. You gave me the courage to look inside and after reading posts and looking at rebuild video on You Tube at least I knew what to look for and like Gomer Pyle said Surprise surprise surprise.

Cajunmech

New Around These Parts
Returned that POC I bought on Ebay and found a PL400 WOPL. Bought it. Done! It gets delivered today. But I will certainly open it up and review that all of the White Oak parts are there. Thanks to everyone for their help.