Local FM News

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
The local University of Missouri station, KCUR, has started a full-time classical broadcast on another frequency, 91.9. The regular KCUR station will do the usual NPR stuff, and I'm glad of the separation, as they only broadcast classical music late at night. I'm listening to it now on their www feed.

Of course this means that I will be dragging out the Akai tuner and installing it somewhere...

Last edited:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
WCUR is West Chester University Radio. Not far from here but not very strong. I don't recognize much of what they play but...

WRTI from Temple University plays classical during the day and jazz at night. The morning classical is some serious get up and go music. I like it.

Glad you have a station to listen to.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Couldn't start my day without listening to KUSC out here, the only full time classical station in SoCal anymore. Hard to believe since there used to be at least five that I remember. Without the local University/College stations there would be no reason for my radio to be on. Always help with their funding as much as possible to keep them on the air.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Without the local University/College stations there would be no reason for my radio to be on. Always help with their funding as much as possible to keep them on the air.
Indeed. We have two - one on our campus and one up the road in Collegedale, TN - WSMC. They actually play music - classical - 24 hours a day. Our campus station - WUTC - is lazy. They just repeat NPR stuff most of the day and have music slots from 2-4 pm and 8-11 pm. What music tey play is good - an eclectic mix of Americana, Reggae, and newer stuff, but just repeating NPR shows all day wears me out.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Nashville Public Radio bought the Vanderbilt University radio license and made that station full-time classical. What is cool is the do not use compressors and heavy limiting, so the music has the correct dynamics. it the record is from the 50s, you hear tape hiss. Separation is where it should be, not almost mono like some stations. 91.1

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Well, I had enough lead-in wire so I ran a length through a hole in the living room floor, across the basement ceiling, and so connected the attic antenna with the ADS T2 tuner in the shop system. With the new classical FM station, I've got:

the tuning light lit

the FM stereo light lit

four of five signal strength lights lit.

It was a bit noisy at first, but I punched the "High Blend" button and bliss set in.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I dialed through the entire FM band today, and the T2 tuned 53 stations, all the way from "1" on the signal strength to "5." Some were unlistenable due to weakness and/or interference, but several were very clear. Still, it will be tuned to 91.9 FM for 99% of the time.