Can My Zerostat Be Repaired?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Lately I've been relying on JB Weld. It's worked so far on whatever I used it for - metal, plastic, glass, plastic to metal, wood to metal. And any excess is easily Dremel'd off.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I'm guessing what we're seeing is a gapped core. The piece that's broken appears to be part of the core and the small square thing looks to be an insulator in the core gap. It's questionable that the core can be reassembled with the gap and still work. On the other hand the alternative is to toss it.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'm guessing what we're seeing is a gapped core. The piece that's broken appears to be part of the core and the small square thing looks to be an insulator in the core gap. It's questionable that the core can be reassembled with the gap and still work. On the other hand the alternative is to toss it.
The small square thing is metal. I'm working on re-assembly and mending of the broken part. The worst that can happen is that I toss it anyway. Stay tuned.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I believe that any repair will change/create new lines of magnetic flux same as if you break a magnet you create new N/S poles. Not sure exactly what the effect of that will be but as stated, you have nothing to lose by trying. If you could find a conductive epoxy May help?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I believe that any repair will change/create new lines of magnetic flux same as if you break a magnet you create new N/S poles. Not sure exactly what the effect of that will be but as stated, you have nothing to lose by trying. If you could find a conductive epoxy May help?
Sounds like Laz could create a black hole if he's not careful.

Nando.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I use Bondic for small repairs. Makes a nice bead and cures in seconds with the UV light supplied. Expensive but it actually works. No haze like the cyano's develop.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Guys, thanks for your confidence in my great cosmic powers, but I can't even find a small but essential part that got lost between repair sessions. Looks like the repair is DOA.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I bet if you take apart a microwave oven you could find some interesting bits to stuff in there.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
"Guys, thanks for your confidence in my great cosmic powers, but I can't even find a small but essential part that got lost between repair sessions. Looks like the repair is DOA. "
SHIT !!