New WOPL 700 B Build

dtafil

Journeyman
Hey there guys - Enjoying the heck out of my recently completed PL-400; it's now time for the 700b. Pics attached, full WOPL build planned. As always, any comments/recommendations welcome as I want this to be bullet-proof (or as close as possible ;-) for driving my Ohm F's. Looks to be all original drivers/outputs (yep, they're all going), and playing just fine over some test speakers for a few minutes at low volume.

And thanks to Joe & Don - parts are in, going to start with the control board first, full comp. This may take a couple weeks, going to take it slow and ask any (newbie) questions of the guru's. First try at the backplanes, any tips appreciated (I see some on another recent thread as well). Handles are pitted but was able to get one to clean up quite a bit; knobs are shot. Faceplate/chassis are dusty, but super clean underneath. Filter caps don't appear to have a hold-down clamp, I'm guessing (just) double-sided tape? Nice copper bus bar though.

Thought I saw somewhere on the site a plexiglass/acrylic replacement panel for the front with a 1000 watts/WOPL call out or something like that... would love to purchase one if someone on the site makes those provided this one gets the WOPL seal of approval :)

IMG_4955.jpeg IMG_4954.jpeg IMG_4720.jpeg IMG_4721.jpeg IMG_4722.jpeg IMG_4723.jpeg IMG_4728.jpeg

Attachments

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Mine either, my bench is a combo, electrical, mechanic, and woodworking, and no I won't be posting a picture!

dtafil

Journeyman
Those boards are an absolute pleasure to work on. Just got done with the flux cleanup, going to start reviewing the backplane board steps next; just opened that box. Light board just got delivered today as well (@Joe - got your email as well, all good :)) Gonna kick back and enjoy the evening.

I did get to crank up the PL-400 last night... warned the neighbors ahead of time and opened the the shop/garage doors. Had the PL-400 hooked up to the 2000 pre and a set of Marantz HD-880 floorstanders (that I was never able to really wake up). Neighboors literally 5 houses up were rocking out to some Permanent Waves with me. Walking up to the speakers reminded me of a concert when the bass simply hits you in the chest. Needless to say, keeping that set of speakers for a while longer now :D

dtafil

Journeyman
Meet "Char", lol. Going to get a name change I think. Control board cleaned up, gutted the innards, starting prepping for the backplane board work. Even managed to get one of the knobs a bit cleaner... looks like there is some shine under there. I normally use Flitz metal polish, but it's a slow go on that knob. Any other recommendations?

IMG_4974.jpeg IMG_5010.jpeg IMG_5013.jpeg IMG_5015.jpeg

dtafil

Journeyman
Morning guys - made great progress, and a HUGE thank you to Joe for answering some OCD questions, lol. Got the backplanes built & wired in, new filter caps, DC protect board, etc.. Passed dim bulb+Variac testing, row by row (no Control board in place).

I would like to pick up some additional 16 gauge teflon wire to clean up a few older wire runs in there; is there a go-to guy for a custom wire order?

dtafil

Journeyman
Quick question if someone could answer please... Got the backplanes and contol board wired in, looking good. Curious about the connections to the phoenix connectors 1L/1R and 2L/2R. The narrative connection table instructions for the PL14_20 say they go to the signal input from the respective left and right RCA jack tips, and the shields from the respective left and right RCA jack shells... should I actually be using the black sheathed cables coming from the left and right level controls off the front panel? Pic attached... pardon the OCD, just wanting to get this right and understand... black sheathed cables are hanging out... thanks!

Attachments