Nice chat with Bob Boyer today

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
So, Bob gave me a call today. It was refreshing as I haven’t spoken with someone with a “southern” accent for a while.

I was working in West “by God” Virginia for a couple years and got used to it. When I went back to New York (and now CT again) we don’t hear that so much.

Anyway, Bob has hooked me up with a tech, near him, who is up for the D5 challenge. I’ll be sending two and three-quarter decks out next week to get at least one, hopefully two, fully functional.

I will report on how it goes, but my initial conversation with the tech was certainly positive. This could be a much-needed source for deck repair. He has a good relationship with Terry as well apparently for re-rubbering parts as needed. That was good to hear too!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's cool to speak to a member over the phone. I had the biggest surprise when I got a call from Miles out of the Netherlands a few months back. That was the first time we had spoken to each other and it felt so comfortable - as if we had been talking to each other on a regular basis.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Yep. The old-fashioned phone call is still pretty cool.

And Bob: I got a good vibe chatting with that tech. I think you may have found a valuable resource in your back yard!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
So, Bob gave me a call today. It was refreshing as I haven’t spoken with someone with a “southern” accent for a while.

I was working in West “by God” Virginia for a couple years and got used to it. When I went back to New York (and now CT again) we don’t hear that so much.

Anyway, Bob has hooked me up with a tech, near him, who is up for the D5 challenge. I’ll be sending two and three-quarter decks out next week to get at least one, hopefully two, fully functional.

I will report on how it goes, but my initial conversation with the tech was certainly positive. This could be a much-needed source for deck repair. He has a good relationship with Terry as well apparently for re-rubbering parts as needed. That was good to hear too!
My old aunt from Alabama used to say y'all talk funny. Even my uncle who was born in Idaho and was married to her called me Son.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
...And Bob: I got a good vibe chatting with that tech. I think you may have found a valuable resource in your back yard!
He seems to know what he's doing. I'll still be seeing (and working with) Nakdoc when I'm traveling between Chattanooga and Nashville for TN arts commission business, but it's good to know there is a competent backup in my own backyard.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Emailed with him again today.

I'll be sending the suspects out today, if I get time to properly pack them. Later, some NOS D, SA and MA tapes for calibration (he only has D in stock).

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Hey, I've got a couple of your SAs and an MA and a D I picked up from a friend who was cleaning out stuff after husband died. They're used, but I could take them over to him if you'd like to save the postage. Lemme know.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Hey sure that’d be cool.

I’ve misplaced the pinch roller so I was going to send that with tapes but it may never be found (probably in Jimmy Hoffa’s pocket).

If your in the area why not. He said he had new D’s in stock but no SA or MA tapes. He’ll return them when he’s done. An excuse for a bit of face time too. My stuff is supposed to hit on Tuesday.

I have new Ds and recorded SAs in work but I had no MAs in work to send today. I wanted to keep momentum on this. The things are completely impractical but eminently cool.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So, he tore into them late yesterday (the “good one”), and today (the “bad one”).

The good one has a good transport, other than a glazed tire and dry capstan. The bad one has gooey belts but that glazed tire in the good one is better. That tire is one I was not able to get NOS. Also the head in the bad one has less wear (nearly none).

So, the plan is to gut the bad one to fix up the good one. Install the NOS parts I found and also do a full recap with Nichicon fine gold. I was on the fence on the recap but I don’t want to go back in there in a year with stuff drifting out.

then of course alignment and biasing.

Bob and I are both hoping his D6 will be done at the same time (different repair person) so he can compare them side by side. A rare opportunity these days for two fully serviced portables to be together like that. Especially a D5 and a D6. Fingers crossed...

Elite-ist

Staff member
These Sony Walkmans are incredible portables. There is a small chance I might acquire a Sony portable - an EL-D8 which plays Elcaset tapes. I, already, have the Sony WM-D6C, which has been faultless since I got it three years ago.

20180423_121733_zpsjwk9qvad.jpg

05 SONY EL-D8 1978.jpg

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I didn’t know an elcassette Walkman existed...good luck with that acquisition. I hope to hear all about it soon!

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks, Jim.I have a few more consignment sales to finalize before I make that purchase.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I received a response from the seller, yesterday:

Hi nando,

I'm not really planning to sell the portable but just use it as a reference point to my involvement with this format. The only way I would consider parting with it as if I had some crazy offer, crazy high money.

Thanks, Johnny

Don't think I will respond to his email.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Well, that's the way it goes.

How often do you come across these? I never search for Elcassette, but I never even knew ANY portable existed...

Miracle Mile

Hi nando,

I'm not really planning to sell the portable but just use it as a reference point to my involvement with this format. The only way I would consider parting with it as if I had some crazy offer, crazy high money.

Thanks, Johnny ....
Have fun with it Johnny...

Indeed...

That's the way it goes.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Yeah,that's an interesting response. Not sure I would consider a portable anything as "reference" quality. Good, yes. Fun, yes. Reference, not so much. Portable and transport stability would seem to me to be mutually exclusive.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Back to my D5: I’ve been getting great feedback (via text) from the tech as he works through getting the transport sorted out. These include short videos etc to keep me informed.

He has swapped in the best head of the three I gave him, installed the NOS idlers and pulleys I found and he’s currently playing with the motor. It was screaming! Donor motor runs strong and quiet.

He found the right combination of washers with my lubricant impregnated plastic one for the capstan.

I will reserve judgement until I have the deck back and test it myself, but as of now, I have no reason to believe there will be any problems.