New build for shop system

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Build some woofers into my dumpster and maybe the neighbors won't park in from of it...and if I play Suicidal Tendencies...

...but MOM, all I want is a PEPSI!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Carpentry shop was otherwise occupied by a Ford Escape today... Got to play wheel bearing... soon, these will be done...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Any plans for sand?
Sanding for finishing? Maybe a quickie with a belt sander on the front edges, run a a 1/4” rad around hem with a router but not going to the extent I did for the house ones. They’ll be painted black and that green/blue face same as the house speakers though. They’re getting the speakers mounted from the outside and will have trim rings. I’ll be making trim rings for everything that doesn’t have them while we’ve got the router table set up also. The three way cabinets for the shop will also have the drivers removed and mounted from the outside with trim rings too. Good time to do this as I have to change my 10” mid range speakers. They got toasted when the crossover failed.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
No, sand for dampening..
Shouldn’t need any, some care was taken when selecting the dimensions to make standing waves unlikely, which is what damping material is used to eliminate in ported cabinets.

I’ve been thinking of buying a near field microphone and measuring software to check response of all my cabinets/drivers though...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Speaker lubricant time, three cabinets finished to the point of being ready for their face boards. Another day or two things will all come together. Then I have to take down the remaining speakers and build a big ass shelf...

Also have to get Tim or Linda fixed so I can bring my second QSC mx3000 back out to the shop. I could run these cabs on the Mx that’s still out there at 2 ohm/Channel for 400w/driver though...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My Sansui AV receiver is said to deliver a stable load at 200W/2 Ohms so I could probably play at a whisper. I'll never get it there...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
All four cabinets have all their internal bracing finished. Finally happy to be done with that stage of construction!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Construction finished on one! Ports will slide in last after final sine wave testing. Light, end of tunnel...

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
One thing I’ve noticed with these Rockville speakers, is the dust caps aren’t oriented with the bolt pattern. Minor complaint, but if you want the lettering level, pay attention! I also had planned to use “T” nuts and machine screws to retain the speakers in the box and the trimmrings will also hold them in. Some of my bracing interferes with the T nuts. I’ll get at least 4 T nuts per speaker, screws for the rest. The trim rings would hold them on their own, just hoped to get them all in.

Attachments

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
That’s an old workmate and what’s left of an old BBQ with a solid wood door screwed to each. It’s surprisingly sturdy to work on!
The Workmates were the best, I have two full size and two benchtop version that can tilt. Couldn't function without either.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Boxes might head to my shop tomorrow. All four construction complete. Slide the vents in, wiring and install the speakers which I can do all at my place. Trim rings still to make, a little router work on the edges and a quickie sand paint job. These aren’t needing to be super pretty, they’ll be 10’ up on a shelf in my shop, not in the living room!