Teac X-2000R Tape brands

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Looking at helping my customer with a few items for his Teac X-2000R deck I just sourced for him. Any recommendations for tape? I had excellent results with the RTM-900/RTM-911 tape with my other decks and just wondering if anybody has tried them on a X-2000R

Ideas???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have the choice of 1 mil or 2 mil thickness (thinner=more recording time, but it is thinner) and don't know if it effects recording quality on the thinner tape.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
One mil tape takes a bit less bias than 1.5 mil, which has some effect on how hard you can push the recording levels on the tape. In my experience, it's not enough to fuss over. I'm a fan of ATR tapes, the 1.0 mil MDS is the thinner version of ATR Master; both are superb, if pricey. I've calibrated my B77 to the 1.0 mil MDS and haven't looked back. It's got more headroom than I ever dare to use.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I ended up ordering him the RTM911 on a 2500' metal reel. Thought about a pancake but it's probably better to go the easy route with him, He can go that way down the road when he's a bit more seasoned. I got him a splicing kit (he'll need that for the sensing foil for auto reverse and putting some leader on the new tapes), a head cleaning kit, a spare belt, a spare pinch roller, a manual, a nice take-up reel, a cover (Needs polishing), and a set of hubs and a box of 8 of the SM911 tapes. That should keep him busy for a while. I'll receive the machine and make sure it's ready for him. He also just bought a nice dragon, 4 WOPL's I built, 2 4000t's, and a C-1 which I also built... Gotta love the old rich guys. I also put myself on his will :)

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I ended up ordering him the RTM911 on a 2500' metal reel... He also just bought a nice dragon, 4 WOPL's I built, 2 4000t's, and a C-1 which I also built... Gotta love the old rich guys. I also put myself on his will :)
I should hope so. What speakers is he using and which amphitheater is he using them in?

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The deck will work just as well with MDS36 or LPR90 or LPR35. This is what I calibrate the decks to using the Normal which is really LHII on other decks.
There are some X2000R decks out there recording at 370nWb/M due to bad calibration. You can catch this by recording at 0 Vu and playing on another tape deck calibrated with 180 or 200 nWb/M flux density and I caught this unit with a Pioneer RT707 that was calibrated with the same alignment tape. The Pioneer meters pegged and there was no reason for that to happen except the Teac was set to record 0 Vu at +6dB which for a deck with 1/4 track heads and a 3.75 IPS speed is ridiculous. I have made mods to put them back to 200nWb/M flux at 0 Vu where they should have been set. I get the notion that this last deck was designed in China and this is what you get.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Why do people continue to put 1.5 mil tapes on their 1/4 track decks as the deck is not made or biased to work with that tape as it needs more bias due to thicker oxide layer. It is almost like they want to spend more money for nothing and 2500 feet is not a better economy that 3600 feet. I had to recently work on a 22-2 that was set up terribly and the deck when I tested it worked better with the thicker tape- it is a 1/2 track deck at the two speed than with MDS36 on it but the customer wanted to use MDS36 so I made some record eq mods and the deck works well with that tape now.
Some guys state they got 22KHz at low speed but even when I lowered the levels to -30dB the 22 or 20KHz would not record at the low speed it is not a tape saturation issue but a head gap issue. I have had the 15 IPS go up to 30KHz on the bench that can test that.