Systems

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I suppose to me it,s about the speaker,,,don,t know if I,ve ever been really happy,,,love to try some ribbons I have tons of power but really lack the room size,, P1000262.jpg I don,t listen at High volume so clean sound is what I look for The Marantz,s I rebuilt seem to fit the bill at this point in time

Tagline
---
http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/album.php?albumid=234

-AUDIO COMPONENT-

* PIONEER VSX-D1S AV Receiver (1990) (much,MUCH better than you may think!!)
* PIONEER PD-91 Reference Compact Disc Player (1988)
* PIONEER PD-M90X Six-Disc Magazine CD Player (1987) (THE very first ELITE PD-M model)
* PIONEER PL-112D Manual Belt Drive Turntable (1975) (with Audio Technica PRO11E cart/styli)
* PIONEER CT-S800 Reference Cassette Deck (1988) ( TOTL 3-head model, with casted-iron transformer and Laser Amorphous playback head)
* PIONEER GR-777 Ten Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer (1988) (TOTL remote controllable EQ with dual spectrum display)
* ROLAND BOSS BR-1180CD Hard Disk-based Audio Recording Studio (2002)

-VIDEO COMPONENT-

* JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS VCR with DIGITAL FX (1988)
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible Laserdisc Player (1988) ( LD/CD/CDV video multi-player with upgraded isolators/feet)
* PIONEER DV-09 Reference Digital Versatile Disc Player (1998)
* PIONEER DV-37 Reference Digital Versatile Disc Player (2001)
* SONY BDP-S300 Blu-Ray Disc Player (2007)

-MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS-

* PIONEER PD-M6 Six-Disc Magazine CD Player (1986) (THE very first PD-M model, with wood panels)
* PIONEER PD-M700 Six-Disc Magazine CD Player (1988)
* DENON DCD-1500 Single Compact Disc Player (1986) (customized and improved, with the optional wood panels)
* NAKAMICHI BX-100 2-HEAD, 2-Motor single-well cassette deck (1984)
* PIONEER CU-AV200 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1989)
* PIONEER CU-AV100 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1988)
* PIONEER CU-AV70 Programmable Remote Control Unit (1989)
* PIONEER MR-100 Multi-Room Remote IR Sensor Unit (1989)
* PIONEER CU-MR100 Remote Control Unit (1989)
* JVC RM-S1 LCD TOUCHSCREEN Programmable Remote Control Unit (1989)
* MITSUBISHI HS-U70 S-VHS VCR (1988)
* MITSUBISHI HS-U50 VHS VCR (1989)
* MITSUBISHI HS-413UR VHS VCR (1987)
* SONY SL-2300 Betamax VCR (1984) (intend to replace with SUPER BETA or ED BETA model)

-COMPUTER SOUND SYSTEM-

* PIONEER VSX-3600 100w/ch. A/V receiver (1990) (intend to supplant with PIONEER VSX-9900S, 9500S, 9700S or 7500S)
* RADIO SHACK OPTIMUS STS-100 3-way bookshelf speaker system (1994)

Last edited:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Six years, three months.

This is an old thread!

I was enjoying reading it. I don’t really have much to add to it, other than you should buy before you sell when “upgrading”. It’s easy to tell yourself something new (to you) is “better” but it is best to directly compare. That can be tricky with some components (like speakers) due to finding optimal placement. But swapping CD players is pretty easy.

It’s been almost a decade since my last “upgrade”. I was remodeling so my system was down, but it re-started with a second amp and “new” speakers. I changed houses after that but still use the same gear.

I think the only area of improvement for me now is the DAC. I have a DIY one I need to put together but I was also considering pro audio DACs as a possible solution. Prices are generally lower than “hi-fi” ones, and chances are much better they were used in making the record you’re listening to. My DIY one even has Lundhal output transformers...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Yes, this is an old thread, but still applicable, Jim. Going back to when this thread first was started by Larry M. (R.I.P.) I wouldn't have foreseen selling any of my components to upgrade. But, that's what I did. And, notably, I sold a number of Pioneer components. I didn't think I would ever do that. And it wasn't because I felt the Pioneer components were unsatisfactory - I just aimed for higher up the hi-fi chain.

Nando.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Well, I can relate to the temptation of “better” sound, but it’d have to be pretty damn spectacular for me to make any major changes.

Tubes were mature, then the new stage transistor came along. So there were a lot of big changes, improvements, blown up amps and speakers, but now, in my opinion at least, I think we’re pretty mature with solid state technology as well. So, I don’t foresee anything like the quantum leap from tubes to transistors any time soon.

Digital technology continues to evolve. I feel this is an area where something special can be done. That’s why I feel it’s the area of improvement.

I’m sure there are better (insert component here) than what I currently have. But I believe it would be an incremental increase in sonic pleasure for a very significant outlay of cash. Room treatment would probably yield more, for less.

PS I recall now that I am using Tara labs video cables as interconnects. Someone somewhere determined they work well and they were inexpensive to purchase. Not terribly flexible but they work. I don’t think they’re made any longer.