TEAC A3340S

TigerTEAC

New Around These Parts
That was for STICKY SHED SYNDROME? and when your tape starts shredding a lot it's best to try and 'bake' it and recover the program on another media. Some tapes had a backcoating that was problematic and SSS was the result. The substance suggested to spray on the tape for a temporary remedy is called 'Nu Finish' but it's generally agreed that it is not a permanent solution (not to ME at least) and archiving the recording is absolutely necessary.

Sony PR was often identified as an SSS candidate of some magnitude and SSS will make a big mess that you will want to swear at...not fun!
Nu Finish was the name... I thought it was silicone. Sorry for my confusion. Baking is also good.
Ryan.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yeah, I'm not too enthusiastic with individuals who believe it's a cure. Toast is toast, buttered or not.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
One Chinese fuel would be enough.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I had an A3340S a long time ago, in a galaxy far away...

That's me, in the Yankees hat. This was some time in the early 90's I believe, in the recording studio I had built in my parent's basement (this is the control room- it's small!). The studio area was probably 10X25 or so. A third of it taken up by my drum kit...

The leg to the right belongs to Pete, who was my partner making custom guitars, and to the left, my best friend (to this day- since elementary school) John, who recently joined me at the Iridium in Manhattan to see Oz Noy. (KILLER show)

BQWW9881[1].JPG

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I would not report that Nu Finish works unless I confirmed that it does. Now that does not mean the tape will last 20 years more but on some alignment tapes I tested it on it did fix the problem and they have had many plays since I did the process. new alignment tape are here but if you have an old machine the old alignment tape would be good enough for it. It still have consistent levels. People that tell you alignment tape wear out just like degaussing advice is because they are trying to sell you the tape at $160 a piece. Believers in this will spend a lot of money in new tapes all the time and I will take their old worn out test tape as they are probably still good. Don't listen to everything you hear as increasingly there are more lies and deception going on all the time. Since this last election it has increased exponentially.