Ronnie Scores a Hat Trick (3rd 700B WOPL)

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Just received the 700B core amp for another Custom 700B WOPL for Juikster (Ronnie). This will bring his total to #3 . Here is a shot of the 2 I already built for him. The new one will pretty much be the same except I will be adding silver knobs to it, and sending him sets for the other 2 amps. They all sport the White Oak components to make these amps look and perform over the top such as the reproduction black Face Plates and the new amp will have the New Rev Back Plane (Rev C), and the New Rev G1 Control Board.

Ron700B1.jpg Ron700B2.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Here is the core I had to find to make this project happen. Believe me, even after seeing this amp on ebay for the last 6 (or more) months, you'll not recognize it in another week or two. I have many hours ahead of me to get this one finished. I put it up on the bench and stripped it down do nuts and bolts. Took me about a half an hour to do that, and in the morning i have to start scrubbing and prepping parts. It makes you scratch your head when you see these beat up amps come in, but you forget all about the ugliness and crust when you done testing and start the detailing to get her ready for shipment. Handles, knobs, transistors etc.... Have been showing up so i have my work cut out for me.

Ronnie3.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Damn, the chassis has cracked ears. Just ordered a new chassis from Joe. Thank God for White Oak Audio Design. I could have had it welded and then painted the chassis but that would be an expensive route since I CAN'T WELD ( I CAN JB Weld though :eek:) so I just ate the cost. That's what happens when we are drawing off the dregs. Just can't get a NICE core amp especially a 700B for a decent price. I have a couple good Series II chassis' but the holes need to be wankered to get the face plate from the 700B to bolt up. It would work I don't like to do it.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
It's amazing that so many people selling these amps online do not realize that a huge, heavy transformer will destroy the chassis unless properly packaged for abuse. One 700 series II that I bought they just put the amp in a single box full of foam peanuts. Despite my standard email about shipping the amps. Result: cracked ears and a 50% refund.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It's amazing that so many people selling these amps online do not realize that a huge, heavy transformer will destroy the chassis unless properly packaged for abuse. One 700 series II that I bought they just put the amp in a single box full of foam peanuts. Despite my standard email about shipping the amps. Result: cracked ears and a 50% refund.

Yep, I've had a dozen or so over the last few years with cracked ears. I have one from a 700B sitting here with some BIG pieces of aluminum angle riveted in to beef up the ears.... That got a new chassis also

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yep, I've had a dozen or so over the last few years with cracked ears. I have one from a 700B sitting here with some BIG pieces of aluminum angle riveted in to beef up the ears.... That got a new chassis also
Hi Perry
I think Lee had ~26 of those 700s with the angle reinforcement from his Aerosmith amp score. Those amps were physically roached, your red ty wrap machine is a beauty queen by comparison to some of those roadie amps. They were run hard and put away wet...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah.....pretty damn sad......
Ya know Lee, it would save us a bunch of money on shipping if they would just disassemble the whole amp and just send us the good parts.
The transformer, meters, the p-straps, the fan outlet and the direct switch and the thermal cutouts......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah, the glass was replaceable in those two's. The legend plates in the Ser II meters would be the choke point on those...