2000 Two Balance Control

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I'm having problems with the balance control that is good for a couple of days after cleaning but then static returns. Wondering if it needs to be taken apart if possible and gone over with a bit more finesse? Anyone ever need to do this or is another solution out there that I'm missing?
Thank You

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
It might have reached end of life, I would look for a replacement rather than semi-continuous cleaning. You might get lucky and fund a NOS device or a gently used (not ever moved) one.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
It might have reached end of life, I would look for a replacement rather than semi-continuous cleaning. You might get lucky and fund a NOS device or a gently used (not ever moved) one.
I figured that maybe that's why it was acting up, from not being moved much. After all it is a balance control, I don't know about other folks but I just don't play around a whole lot with a balance control once it's set.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
If you don't use it, maybe just do a bypass surgery.
True and always a possibility but at the moment it seems to working fine once it's set, still a bit scratchy if moved but when centered all good for now. I got this piece for a fair price because the seller thought it had a dead channel, thankfully that wasn't the case.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I'm having problems with the balance control that is good for a couple of days after cleaning but then static returns. Wondering if it needs to be taken apart if possible and gone over with a bit more finesse? Anyone ever need to do this or is another solution out there that I'm missing?
Thank You

Is your 2000 a series 1 or a 2000 series two?

I have a very good supply of "New Old Stock" Phase Linear parts obtained from former Phase Linear employees.

Phase Linear parts list for the 2000/ 2000 II shows (2) part numbers:
129-0037 Balance: 50K: NL: dual
129-0026 Balance: 100K: L

It appears that the series 1 used the 100K pot and the series 2 used a 50K pot.

I have some 50K and 100K balance control pots. Unfortunately, they do not have the Phase Linear part number on them like so many other pots do.

I also do not have any 2000's to compare these to.

Perhaps you could take a look at your and tell me if it is a 50K or 100K.

I will then post some pictures along wit some dimensions for you to look at.

Ed

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Thank you Ed, it's a Series Two so I'll check it out and get back with a part# .

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
So I finally got to the 2000 II and took the balance control out, cleaned it up, down and everyway possible and now it's working great so hopefully it will be fine. It is the 129-0037 50K Mexico origin. Just wanted to update on it and say thank you again for the help and offer Ed. This is the greatest site, so glad I have my PL 400 and PL 2000II and a place with so many who know so much. Rob

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
describe the process you are using to clean/lube...

What are you using to clean and what are you using to lube???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If you don't have fader GREASE, you can use the F100L but you need to get some lube back in there. Just using F5 won't last as long as a good lube.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
describe the process you are using to clean/lube...

What are you using to clean and what are you using to lube???
I'm using DeoxIT D5 applied using small syringes in any opening the needle will go in first letting it sit then working the controls full swing, doing that several times with another shot or two of D5 then use the F5 to lube with the same procedure. Having the little syringes really helps get the cleaner, lube where it works the best without making a mess. The buttons are harder to clean since they don't really have much of any opening to get the DeoxIT inside so it takes a bit longer to get them clean. I'm guessing this 2000II must have set for quite while but it really didn't have a lot of dust inside, or much show of use considering it's age. Unlike me!
Rob

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
If you don't have fader GREASE, you can use the F100L but you need to get some lube back in there. Just using F5 won't last as long as a good lube.
OK, thanks for the info I'll get some since I need some more DeoxIT Gold anyway, really appreciate all the help since I'm new to the site and to playing with these Music Boxes.