Marantz Woes

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I always say it is a good look Laz. "Chick dig it." Drives the wife crazy when I say that. You don't want to hear her response.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
We've seen a few of these big marantz dvd players come through on consignment. When they skip, chuck it. Sometimes you will find one that plays CDs, but not CDR or DVD. Since so many people are dumping perfectly good dvd players, it makes more sense to find a working one cheap.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
We've seen a few of these big marantz dvd players come through on consignment. When they skip, chuck it. Sometimes you will find one that plays CDs, but not CDR or DVD. Since so many people are dumping perfectly good dvd players, it makes more sense to find a working one cheap.
Goes to my saying, old digital is just old digital...

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I managed to get some oil (it took only a drop or two) into the top bearing of the spinner motor of the Denon. After some spinning and letting it set overnight, it plays just fine, and with NO skipping. It is back in the main system. Fixing the Marantz is less pressing now.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Most transports do not need lube, if you want to use some; try very little amounts of sewing machine oil, it will not gum up too much.
Woah, woah, WOAH! NO OIL! If anything, a light dusting of powdered graphite that you’d use in a lock tumbler! Oil collects dust, usually becomes gum.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've never dusted a lock tumbler.

mlucitt

Woah, woah, WOAH! NO OIL! If anything, a light dusting of powdered graphite that you’d use in a lock tumbler! Oil collects dust, usually becomes gum.
Most mere mortals do not own any powdered graphite, and if they do, it is 50 years old. My point was that a fraction of a drop of high quality oil (not 3-in-1), would loosen any previously gummed up oil (varnish). Powdered graphite will not do that. After the oil freed the mechanism, it can always be removed, graphite, not so much.
However, I do agree in the absolute superiority of graphite as a dry lube that does not collect dust. I like it on new or rebuilt mechanisms more than I like it on 20 year old assemblies that might be full of microscopic crud. Then you just have well-lubed microscopic crud.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
The latest on the Denon is that it will play one CD just fine, but starts skipping on the second. Yesterday, I put it into the shop system, and placed the Sony into the main system. The Sony sounds good too. The Marantz is still waiting for repair.