FM noise reducers

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I had an optional device on my Pioneer KP-500 that reduced multipath interference and generally cleaned things up...that was car audio, but the tuner was a great one.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I had a Pioneer Car "Supertuner" cassette and tuner back in the day that was pretty good. Had a separate amp, 20 watts per...good stuff

mlucitt

From a review:
"The Phase Linear 5000 combines excellent receiving capabilities along with a unique linear expansion circuit which compensates for the problems associated with FM broadcast. Consequently, the 5000 FM Tuner delivers dynamic range and sonic quality audibly beyond that which has been available."
https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2012/10/phase-linear-model-5000.html

Not quite the Bob Carver circuitry (the PL5000 was an A.P. Van Meter product introduced in 1976, discontinued in 1978 by the 5000 Series II and that one in 1979 by the 5100 Series II). But they were on the right track with the PL5000 series, I had one and it was a great unit. No doubt the Carver TX-11 and the NAD 4150 were way ahead of their time in 1983!

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
We listen to my 5000 daily. Nearest TV station is 150 miles away & they ignore us. The weather people always stand right in front of our county! No local newspaper either. So FM is it for what's going on around here, other than hanging out at the feedmill. I'm looking forward to an outdoor antenna shortly.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
From a review:
"The Phase Linear 5000 combines excellent receiving capabilities along with a unique linear expansion circuit which compensates for the problems associated with FM broadcast. Consequently, the 5000 FM Tuner delivers dynamic range and sonic quality audibly beyond that which has been available."
https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2012/10/phase-linear-model-5000.html

Not quite the Bob Carver circuitry (the PL5000 was an A.P. Van Meter product introduced in 1976, discontinued in 1978 by the 5000 Series II and that one in 1979 by the 5100 Series II). But they were on the right track with the PL5000 series, I had one and it was a great unit. No doubt the Carver TX-11 and the NAD 4150 were way ahead of their time in 1983!
My father has a PL 5000 , but for me it's necessary to add an hi blend filter .
In some cases there is too much noise and the peak unlimiter increases this issue .
At the same antenna system a Sony 5000F and a Yamaha CT 1010 are connected and their hi blend filter fix the problems .
In other words in a city like Milan the worst enemy is the multipath and so I would like to add an hi blend filter .
I'm studying or better copying the circuits of other manufacturers .
Ciao
Marco

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Dear Mlucitt ,
first of all thank for your like .
These are the solution that I'll test in the future .
1) http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/blend.htm ( better classic cap or a resistor ? )
2) Since PL 5000 has multipath detector , I think it's posible to add the Scholtz detector .

Ciao
Marco
PS: what' s your name ?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I use Boise Hawks baseball games. That and oldies reduce noise 100%

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
By the way, my Sansui 5050 occasionally drifts to the left and the right but since it was made during the Ford administration I'm sure that's just a fairly boring problem.