Another Hecksperiment

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
A couple of years ago, I was gifted an Escient Fireball DVDM-100, along with a Sony 400-disc changer. The Escient unit is meant to control the Sony, but can also act as a DVR, internet radio tuner and preamp. I was intrigued, but gave away the Sony and put the Escient away. Yesterday, I dug it out, had a look at the manual and remote. The remote had buttons for volume +/-, so I hooked the thing up with source, power amp, speakers and a video monitor. I had high hopes, you see. The remote, however, was unable to communicate with the Escient. I even had to turn the thing on manually, and all the rest was dependent on the remote. Check it: a $1999 piece of gear rendered useless because of a cheap remote. It's now back in storage. Rats.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yup, even some of the Carver units had limited functionality without the remote. I had to go buy a replacement twice. That's why I got a good deal on them. Luckily the replacement remote was only $29 at remotes.com

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Well, I did put fresh batteries in it, and even burnished the spring contacts. The power button did light up when any other button was used.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Where you supposed to reprogram it to run the controller, or what's the deal? Is there a button for that unit and then you switch to the player?

I just want 2-3 VCRs serviced so I can watch crappy 2 head recorded cable movies I saved from the neighbor tossing and Purple Rain.

I have Woodstock on VHS too, one of my laserdisc players has Michael Nesmith's Elephant Parts stuck in it though and that is my favorite LD title.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I think they still have a site called Remote Central in the US that tells you how to program both old and new models and has reviews.