My New Preamp!!

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I think your expectations are well founded. Will be interesting to see the comparisons once you gin up the balanced connections & retest.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Factory specs show 12 microvolts residual noise at 20 to 20 k bandwidth, nothing said about weighted or not...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So , at the worst case, 16 microvolts is damn close....we're talkin DEEP IN THE WEEDS here...

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Hey Lee, I'm absolutely stoked for ya!! On the edge of my seat waiting for the big day where you connect and listen. First name basis with the cops ok? :evil4:

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I need to google Balanced XLRs, heard them mentioned through the years but know nothing about them, apart from the fact that a lot of live pro gear setups use them.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I need to google Balanced XLRs, heard them mentioned through the years but know nothing about them, apart from the fact that a lot of live pro gear setups use them.

Here is a good review on cabling. Balanced vs unbalanced and some ideas on twisted shelled. A long.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The primary reason for XLR is balanced differential output and input. Both conductors hot in other words.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Correction, there can be multiple wires in an XLR connection, I've seen 5 on one connection but it was used for a power supply connection.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I dont believe you would want two stereo wires running parallel to each other...inductance leading to crosstalk..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hookay, in batt mode and the phase inverter kicked in on Heart Shaped World...Wicked Game.....damn it's like you were in the studio...
Sibilance is greatly reduced.....its cool that I can tell.
To be brutally honest guys....if your system's resolution isn't really good, it would be a waste of money. Idon't think it's 3700.00 better than the Acurus for most folks.
For me, I love it.....the phase inverter switch is almost worth it alone..

Attachments

Dchristie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
-Life is what you do between your plans--
Hi Lee, congrats on your new toy. I am very familiar with Jeff' s equipment ( I believe I have had about 2 dozen various JR amps and preamps over the past 3 decades or so) . Met Jeff when I lived in Colo. before he started Rowland Research building amps and preamps back in the early 1980s. Got to play with a lot of his early stuff before he started selling it as a business. (I still use his 501 mono blocs and Concerta preamp daily in one of my systems). If I am not mistaken, I believe the front of your control preamp chassis can be disconnected from the main chassis on your preamp. Kind of a nifty way to have a remote. Also, regarding the purple tint, it is not a result of heat. There were some of his preamps and amps that had a batch of anodization that was not quite right and they started displaying a purple tint over time. One of my 501 amps and also one of his strain gauge phone preamps have turned black/purple over time. It never seemed to get any worse from the onset so yours is probably as bad as it will ever get. Jeff is a really good guy and if you ever call JRDG, there is a good chance that you can actually talk to Jeff directly. Your preamp was a statement piece of equipment that along with his matching assortment of amps at the time really got Jeff established in the High End. I am not surprised that it sounds fabulous with the WOPL amps.

Dean

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I dont believe you would want two stereo wires running parallel to each other...inductance leading to crosstalk..
Correction, there can be multiple wires in an XLR connection, I've seen 5 on one connection but it was used for a power supply connection.
DIN connectors would probably be the nearest approximation to an XLR combination in/out. You’d see them on European tape decks, Grundig, Tandberg, or Philips for example. I had a Philips open reel deck once, had to find a DIN to RCA cable to connect it. The deck had DIN only. Sounded horrible.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hi Lee, congrats on your new toy. I am very familiar with Jeff' s equipment ( I believe I have had about 2 dozen various JR amps and preamps over the past 3 decades or so) . Met Jeff when I lived in Colo. before he started Rowland Research building amps and preamps back in the early 1980s. Got to play with a lot of his early stuff before he started selling it as a business. (I still use his 501 mono blocs and Concerta preamp daily in one of my systems). If I am not mistaken, I believe the front of your control preamp chassis can be disconnected from the main chassis on your preamp. Kind of a nifty way to have a remote. Also, regarding the purple tint, it is not a result of heat. There were some of his preamps and amps that had a batch of anodization that was not quite right and they started displaying a purple tint over time. One of my 501 amps and also one of his strain gauge phone preamps have turned black/purple over time. It never seemed to get any worse from the onset so yours is probably as bad as it will ever get. Jeff is a really good guy and if you ever call JRDG, there is a good chance that you can actually talk to Jeff directly. Your preamp was a statement piece of equipment that along with his matching assortment of amps at the time really got Jeff established in the High End. I am not surprised that it sounds fabulous with the WOPL amps.

Dean

Thanks Dean, yeah it does sound fabulous with a WOPL...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
DIN connectors would probably be the nearest approximation to an XLR combination in/out. You’d see them on European tape decks, Grundig, Tandberg, or Philips for example. I had a Philips open reel deck once, had to find a DIN to RCA cable to connect it. The deck had DIN only. Sounded horrible.

Amen Mark...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Inverts the phase of any incoming signal. Ya just never know when someone recorded, mixed or processed in the correct phase. Sometimes makes a helluva difference...