Audio Precision ATS-1 on the bay good deal

Tagline
---
Well that sucks! One of you could try popping the cover on your ATS and see if AP was kind enough to leave the part # for the display module intact. I'm talking about the actual LCD itself. You never know it may be an off the shelf part that many millions of them went into some piece of consumer gear and a spare can be had for next to nothing. I had one of these LCD displays on a controller at work that the backlight went out on me about a year ago. The display looks very similar to the one on the ATS-1 but this one has a capacitive touchscreen membrane on it. The manuafacturer wanted $1500 flat rate to repair it. I took the controller apart and the LCD module had a sticker on it with the part #. Many manufacturers for the lab equipment I work on remove these part number tags or put their own number in place to make it hard or impossible to second source the replacement parts. They make a ton of money selling parts and service. I ended up finding the LCD display for about $150 online however I ended up repairing the backlight by removing the small fluorescent lamp and putting a pair of high output white LED's in its place. The backlight is not quite as bright as it used to be but for the $5 or so it cost to fix it wasn't worth spending the $150 on the LCD display.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I've sent the guy on ebay a couple questions and the above information but he won't answer me... It aint worth the hassle.... For a few more dollars, you can get a good one... Screw him. I am positive (I would have done it) that he has already been in touch with AP.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Check this out....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283356455660

Audio Precision Portable One Plus Access the guy had it listed for $2200 and it wouldn't pass self test. His Engrish is not good so I took a gamble..... $500

I saw it on mine when I bought it. I hit the correct buttons to return it to factory settings and it works like new. Maybe this one will too. Its worth sending in to AP for repair (Not a Dual Domain).... Either way

Last edited:
Tagline
---
Nice score!
If the reset doesn't correct the issue then it might be a simple adjustment to fix it.
If the P1P self test checks much the same things that the System One test checks then it might be something simple thats needs adjustment. The input CMRR seems to drift out on the S1 & S2 units and they begin failing the self test. Mine was barely passing the self test at around -80dB. After figuring out how to run the cal routine I've got the input CMRR at around -106dB now.

Are the service manuals available for the ATS-1 & P1 units?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Nice score!
If the reset doesn't correct the issue then it might be a simple adjustment to fix it.
If the P1P self test checks much the same things that the System One test checks then it might be something simple thats needs adjustment. The input CMRR seems to drift out on the S1 & S2 units and they begin failing the self test. Mine was barely passing the self test at around -80dB. After figuring out how to run the cal routine I've got the input CMRR at around -106dB now.

Are the service manuals available for the ATS-1 & P1 units?
I don't think they sell the service manuals.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
After looking at the stuff this guy sells, maybe I'll get lucky and they don't know how to reset it. He sells a bunch of ethernet cards, memory, cables etc.... Keeping my fingers crossed.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
the ATS-1 on the bay sold for $60..... I hope the buyer knows what he's doing. The factory said there may not be parts available.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
These are the dildo's we have to deal with these days..... The AP Portable One Plus Access I just bought, I decided to ask a question. Read this....

ME: I was wondering if you had anybody look at it or if you tried to do a factory reset. Thanks

HIM: This is sold

ME: Duh...... I bought it.. now how about answering my question.

Him: Sorry . I don't have it . Thanks

ME: Look man, I just bought this from you and I asked you a question. Can't you answer the friggin question???? Did you try to reset it or did anybody look at it?

HIM: Sorry . the units i power up and try run the self test is failed. that I already mention on description . i don't think it need to factory reset . when you recieved it you feel don't like it . i happy to received back .

ME: I am not worried about returning it as long as it shows up undamaged. I only asked if you had tried to fix it. I will fix it.

HIM: Hi Sir. I sure this is not damaged . the units is function the only thing is failed on seft test . i did not try to fix it .

ME: I meant damage from shipping

By now, I was beyond the red zone..... My 2 year old granddaughter can converse better than this. I called this conversation over.... This is what our country has come to..... The Goddamn foreigners have come in, can't even carry on a conversation.... It's like talking to the friggin wall... I got ZERO patience........

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
That lingo sounds like half of the electronics gear descriptions I read on ebay. It's not much different than the sellers who are STILL in China/Japan.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I guess it's a good thing that he opted to take it back if you're not happy. At least he put that in writing... comm frustrations not withstanding.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
AP still has refurb'd units that they are selling in excess of 10 grand. (... the non-portable ones)

BlazeES

Tagline
---
So I found this detailed info -

ATS-1: Discontinued 1998 (2-channel general purpose audio analyzer) [conditional support]
ATS-1A: Discontinued 2016 (ATS-1 Access Audio Test System with IEEE-488 GPIB interface)
ATS-1DD: Discontinued 2016 (ATS-1 Dual-Domain Audio Test System with IEEE-488 GPIB interface; 48 kHz digital audio)

Had no clue that these 2 bottom configs were still available from AP all the way up to 2016 nor did I know that there was an in between model - the 1A.

In any event, if there's a GPIB port on the back - it's an ATS-1A.
The eBoy unit that started this thread is an ATS-1 Access with the IMD board option.
The dude didn't know what he had.

Truly amazing these thing were still officially available up until just a few years back...

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So I found this detailed info -

ATS-1: Discontinued 1998 (2-channel general purpose audio analyzer)
ATS-1A: Discontinued 2016 (ATS-1 Access Audio Test System with IEEE-488 GPIB interface)
ATS-1DD: Discontinued 2016 (ATS-1 Dual-Domain Audio Test System with IEEE-488 GPIB interface; 48 kHz digital audio)

Had no clue that these 2 bottom configs were still available from AP all the way up to 2016 nor did I know that there was an in between model - the 1A.

In any event, if there's a GPIB port on the back - it's an ATS-1A.
Truly amazing these thing were still officially available up until just a few years back...

I knew there was some things still available... They have ATS-1's in stock. Once I saw the prices, it was time to look for a used one. My other unit should be here within an hour or 2... They both have the GPIB option on them (for what good they are these days). One is going on the auction block asap.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Basically the ATS-1 and the portable one are the same unit except the Portable one only has XLR's while the ATS-1 has XLR and Banana jacks for Generator/Analyzer connections. I have XLR adapters but depending on how they are wired (XLR's can have 2 different "Hot" pins depending on who manufactured the gear).

BlazeES

Tagline
---
1551128741149.png

The thing is, much of the misinformation floating around the interwebs gives the impression that ALL ATS-1's are [conditional support] due to age. Not sure when they started making the original ones but the very late 90's 1's and the long running 1A's sold up until 2016 are FULLY supported by AP. So that's why they ask for the serial number. It's pretty safe to say that there are internal improvements/revisions along the way as these things matured. Probably a good idea to get one with a more recent born-on-date vs. the much older standard ATS-1's prior to the EOL year of 1998.

So the moral of the story is: Anyone looking for one of these should note that either the eBoy listing should state ATS-1A for accuracy - or if in doubt - look for the fat IEEE-4888 connector above the parallel port on the back of the unit because the unknowing seller is probably going to simply use what is printed on the face plate. Just as important, not all of them came with IMD boards... so if the seller is a knucklehead and didn't list that option (unknowingly), there's a check box on the rear product label that the factory 'ticks' when it's installed that you should be able to see it in listing photos if the seller used a good camera. The factory also registers the date of manufacturer on the product label which is a good thing to know when seeking one of these out.

It pays to know !

Last edited: