The Tascam 42NB LIVES!!!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Sam,

I bought a service manual for my Tascam 42NB (A TASCAM 42 manual is the same) from a recommended source and when I went to use it, Lo and Behold the important schematics are not there.

This manual is missing pages 8-43, 8-44, 8-45 and 8-46

I don't know if the manual is incomplete that I bought, or if that's the way it came from the factory.

Can you check your manual to see if they are included?

After talking to several people, their manual is missing the same pages. Apparently we bough them from the same guy.. .

I need a pdf manual asap.... especially one that is complete and has been scanned nicely with good detail.

Thanks

Perry

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I looked on hifiengine and only found the 40 series brochure...there are a couple requests for the owners/service manuals over the last year so, will a 42B do?

I found one but it's not cheap http://www.gennlab.com/tasc42b.html

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Here is a pic of my newly purchased 42NB. Not sure if i'll sell my first 42NB (at least till the ol lady figures out I have 2 beasts). I can only juggle for so long. Especially with the fake shoulder.

Should be delivered next week. (Did I post this already???) gettin old sux.

thumbnail_tascam 42 reel to reel 20.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
She's heading to Minnesota on Thursday to watch the grand baby and her mom is having surgery so she'll be gone Thursday morning. I'll have 5 weeks to figure it out. Those monsters are impossible to hide Joe. Besides, that's a lot to spend on a chick aint it?????

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
The games we play. I've had a new covertly bought amp right in the living room for six weeks now. I put a piece of cardboard in front of the stand to ' help keep dog hair off'. Wifey's memory is worse than mine ( except for every mistake I've ever made). By now she's forgot what the old amp looked like for sure.
My UPS driver is a friend & I meet him in town to get my shit on the sly.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Here is a pic of my newly purchased 42NB. Not sure if i'll sell my first 42NB (at least till the ol lady figures out I have 2 beasts). I can only juggle for so long. Especially with the fake shoulder.

Should be delivered next week. (Did I post this already???) gettin old sux.

View attachment 33622
Have you ever see the prices this one outfit charges for audiophile 1:1 recordings? The Tape Project or something? 5-600 bucks???

Or pirate radio, internet, whatever. All my station tapes are country IIRC.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, my new Tascam 42NB ships tomorrow. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I think I may have a local here to buy the one I have been tweaking up and fixing. He thought he was the man after getting a nice Teac 4010 and then he saw my Tascam.... I got the output pot that was roached (it still worked but was bent a hair) and the knobs were scuffed up but I snagged a very Nice set a few days ago so it's almost done. I had to clean the connectors and touch up a couple solder joints and it sounds excellent. Then I can quit worrying about trying to hide a 70lb Deck from the ol lady. I hate to get rid of it and I still may keep it. We'll see when he comes over to get the new black face plate on his 4000t I built him (And a WOPL, and a C-1, and a pair of Epicure 20+ speakers and.....) He's got money.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Spent the last few days doing some disassembly, cleaning lubing and a small amount of adjusting. I have some things I need to do to the deck but all in all, it works great and sounds pretty good. I want to record a new album at 15ips here in the next week to see how good it can REALLY be. I have a new spare set of heads but I think these are in pretty good shape. Anyway, here is a couple shots of the beast. It cleaned up very nice and outside of some scuffed knobs (I don't have them on in these pics), it shows nice.

P

View attachment 33504 View attachment 33505 View attachment 33506

Yep, forgot I actually had 2........................ I screwed up and sold them BUT I WILL FIND ANOTHER!!!! :)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think if I ever got another open reel deck it would be the Tascam BR-20T. Half track deck with time code track (so three track deck).

The last one they made and still sold new after the turn of the century.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I think if I ever got another open reel deck it would be the Tascam BR-20T. Half track deck with time code track (so three track deck).

The last one they made and still sold new after the turn of the century.
I have not had the pleasure of messing with one. what's the diff between the BR-20 and the BR-20T???

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That’s right. T for time code.

Accurate cueing; loop repeat; lots of cool features and built like a 42.

I see them hovering around five grand these days.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
All the more solid made Tascam decks work great in my experience but the adjustments need to be done right. You only need to buy a Tentelometer one time and then you will have it from then on. Alignment tapes are not $39 either and they wear out. What parts do you have trouble getting? I know there are some hard parts to source but they usually do not go out except for those spark technicians that send voltage to the opto that is too high. That is why the board has a resistor on it. Incompetent work is the way these get into such bad shape and as for head wear I have never seen a worn out head yes but I do have some stock here now.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
All the more solid made Tasvam decks work great in my experience but the adjustments need to be done right. You only need to buy a Tentelometer one time and then you will have it from then on. Alignment tapes are not $39 either and they wear out. What parts do you have trouble getting? I know there are some hard parts to source but they usually do not go out except for those spark technicians that send voltage to the opto that is too high. That is why the board has a resistor on it. Incompetent work is the way these get into such bad shape and as for head wear I have never seen a worn out head yes but I do have some stock here now.

I haven't had to buy any parts as of late since I don't have a machine but I am on the hunt.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The only strange part that I have had to get made is the tachometer roller because people bring them on totally missing. Why don't people just leave this alone and let the Technician deal with it as the making of a totally missing part cost way more than just getting the rubber put on present one. I had a 48 come in with a TSR8 roller in the Tachometer position and of course this was put on by boneheads that are guessing and just throwing on any old part to sell the deck. What was even more funny after I put Terry rebuilt roller put on the deck the client though he would trade me some push on rubber parts for a real pinch roller and I told him that no good technician would ever use parts like those. I have some here still from somebody that sent them with a deck. They are good for a laugh but what idiots are selling these when they clearly do not work correctly.