LOOSE RCA JACKS (Switchcraft 3501FR) Phase Linear Amplifiers & Others

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I just posted this in another thread and thought I should create a new thread so others may see this as well.

Do you still have the original Switchcraft 3501FR RCA input jacks on your Phase Linear amplifier?

If so, I would suggest checking the RCA jacks out. In order to do this; find a RCA patch cable you are willing to sacrifice. Bend the (4) petals back so that only the center pin is exposed. (NOTE: The nominal diameter should be close to .125"). Now use the RCA jack like an inspector would use a GO-NO Go plug gage and insert it into the jack on the back of your amplifier. There should be some resistance when you plug it into the female input on the RCA jack. I have found that approximately 60% or so of all the old Phase Linear amps have at least (1) loose input jack. Unfortunately, the Phase Linear service manuals do not discuss this (nor any other manufacturer I have seen who utilizes chassis mount RCA jacks).
NOTE: This has not been a problem with PC board mount style RCA jacks.

If your jack(s) are loose.....
WARNING: Be sure to wear safety goggles.
1.) Examine the opposite end of the jack and locate the solder tab (this will be the view as taken from inside the amplifier). Note the orientation of the solder tab.
2.) On the other end of the jack locate the area directly across (180 degrees) from the solder tab.
3.) Using a small flat-bladed jeweler's screwdriver and wedge it between the formed jack and the insulating material.
4.) Reform the jack by bending it back slightly with the jeweler's screwdriver.

See attached photos.

I hope this information is of some help.

Ed

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The originals are junk. I replace them asap. Don't bend or fuck with them, replace them. Afro-engneering has no place in your stereo.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I just posted this in another thread and thought I should create a new thread so others may see this as well.

Do you still have the original Switchcraft 3501FR RCA input jacks on your Phase Linear amplifier?

If so, I would suggest checking the RCA jacks out. In order to do this; find a RCA patch cable you are willing to sacrifice. Bend the (4) petals back so that only the center pin is exposed. (NOTE: The nominal diameter should be close to .125"). Now use the RCA jack like an inspector would use a GO-NO Go plug gage and insert it into the jack on the back of your amplifier. There should be some resistance when you plug it into the female input on the RCA jack. I have found that approximately 60% or so of all the old Phase Linear amps have at least (1) loose input jack. Unfortunately, the Phase Linear service manuals do not discuss this (nor any other manufacturer I have seen who utilizes chassis mount RCA jacks).
NOTE: This has not been a problem with PC board mount style RCA jacks.

If your jack(s) are loose.....
WARNING: Be sure to wear safety goggles.
1.) Examine the opposite end of the jack and locate the solder tab (this will be the view as taken from inside the amplifier). Note the orientation of the solder tab.
2.) On the other end of the jack locate the area directly across (180 degrees) from the solder tab.
3.) Using a small flat-bladed jeweler's screwdriver and wedge it between the formed jack and the insulating material.
4.) Reform the jack by bending it back slightly with the jeweler's screwdriver.

See attached photos.

I hope this information is of some help.

Ed
I have done this a few times, even on new ons that are not tight