"Audiophile Speak" Terms & Definitions (a.k.a. Buzzwords)

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
For those people who like to do “subjective” testing or listening of their stereo systems, here is a list of “audiophile speak” (buzzwords).

Impress your friends, fellow audiophiles and salesmen with your knowledge. Memorize and use these terms often.

This is my first attempt at standardizing the terms and definitions for “audiophile speak” terminology. (NOTE: This is also so we can better understand each other when we use these terms.) In other words, how can we effectively communicate with one another if we are not on the same page with our definitions for the words we use.

This list was complied from a couple sources on the internet.

I would like to add any additional terms; provided they are in some form of common use elsewhere on the internet.

By the way, a number of years ago I was once a member of a ASME B89 dimensional metrology sub-committee whereby we were writing a standard to define the terms and general principles used in dimensional metrology. Our charter was: “Terminology and definitions; abstract principles of dimensional metrology including concepts of precision, accuracy, repeatability, specifications, and test for readout and traceability.”

Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
After reading through that stuff I have decided I will never be qualified to be an "audiophile", don't know the language....

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Thank you. I've alway's been too embarassed to ask the folks on AK or DIY Audio what the hell they are talking about. I mostly just think it makes them feel superior.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
When I was a kid, Soundstage was a really cool concert show on public TV from WTTW Chicago.

mlucitt

Two descriptive items missing from the list of Audiophile Terms and Definitions. These two are the only ones I use:
Good: speaker sound that I like.
Bad: speaker sound that I don't like.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Will the bass vibrate your eyeballs ?----speaker good
Will the bass NOT vibrate your eyeballs?----speaker bad

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Someone on AK wants to be told the Sound Signature of some speakers. With such an extensive menu of metaphores, it would seem posh as heck to cut & paste a dozen or so as a reply for each one.

I didn't see Bouncy on the list. Wouldn't bouncy fit something? Like other than turntables?

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Turns out I already knew the meaning of most of those. Not sure if good or bad......shows my power level for sure

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I don't know man, I just enjoy listening ot good music. Don't think I am up for homework to become a rocket scientist to do it though. Besides nobody understands anything I say anyway....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Someone on AK wants to be told the Sound Signature of some speakers. With such an extensive menu of metaphores, it would seem posh as heck to cut & paste a dozen or so as a reply for each one.

I didn't see Bouncy on the list. Wouldn't bouncy fit something? Like other than turntables?
Bouncy is for that other forum... :)