Bob's 4 WOPL 400 builds

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nice to see you Bob

As for Jenner, "she" looks masculine still and those images have a lot of photoshopping done to them
There is still surgery to do, a lot of it. Let Jenner sort it out and get through what will be a long and difficult process.

If I recalled it correctly ANNIE LEIBOWITZ did the photos? So you know what to expect as she's the one that does all the controversial stuff.

At least she gave Caitlyn a decent chest.

NavLinear

Nice work on the boards AB. You're jumping in head first but it's looking like you will do real well. You'll get a lot of support here but I'd like to wish you good luck with the build. Will you be installing the DC protect boards too?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I see nobody has asked the obvious question.....why do you need 4 WOPL 400's?? I can almost clear the neighborhood with 1 -400 and certainly can with a 700.....

BTW....love the board holders.. adapt and overcome...

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Like a kid in a WOPL candy store.
I have that setup too.
Its been a good iron. I've put it through quite a bit over the past few years without a problem. I've had nice UNGER 9000 solder stations (4 in all) and your lucky to get 6 months out of them. Payed a lot and got a little.

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Nice work on the boards AB. You're jumping in head first but it's looking like you will do real well. You'll get a lot of support here but I'd like to wish you good luck with the build. Will you be installing the DC protect boards too?
Thanks for the welcome and yep, I got 4 of Don Imlay's boards and all of the parts are in so I'll be putting all of that together tonight after work. By the way, nice job on helper brackets that Ed was using last Sunday. Very nice.

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks Bob..we try.

In your avatar.....are you being smuggled into a concert ??
LOL. No, at the time there was no other way to hook that cabinet up so I just climbed in and did it. Thats when I was about 50lbs lighter. No way could I do that now.

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
I see nobody has asked the obvious question.....why do you need 4 WOPL 400's?? I can almost clear the neighborhood with 1 -400 and certainly can with a 700.....

BTW....love the board holders.. adapt and overcome...
Actually Lee, I don't really need the 4 although that would certainly wake the neighbors up. I'm going to put one 400 in the living room and 2 400s and one 300II in the family room. I bought the 4 for $350.00 and why do 3 when you can do 4. So the fourth will probably get sold.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have one sitting here gutted waiting for the day it can be done. Sucks seeing it sit there cold and forgotten. I could never do the work but someday it will live again when finances or a trade can be done to get her done

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
So, here's the list of what I presently have in my system right now:

Yamaha RX-V863 AV Reciever
Marants CD6005 CD Player
BEHRINGER DCX2496 (Not upgraded yet but soon) noisy little bugger but a nice unit
ADCOM GFA-7400 AMP
PIONEER PL-550 Turntable
PIONEER CT-F7272 Cassette Tape Deck
JVC TD-W77 Cassette Tape Deck
2 MAGNEPAN MG-III Speakers I'm in the middle of rebuilding these and converting to MG-IIIa
2 MAGNEPAN MG-12/QR Speakers
1 Miller Kreisel MX-80 Sub Woofer
1 Miller Kreisel MX-125II Sub Woofer

Attachments

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
The worst part of doing the Maggies is the stripping of the wires and cleaning off the old masking/coating.

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
I have one sitting here gutted waiting for the day it can be done. Sucks seeing it sit there cold and forgotten. I could never do the work but someday it will live again when finances or a trade can be done to get her done
May be cold but not forgotten. Its the finances that are a kicker when it comes to investing in HiFi equipment. I had not planned on putting as much money into these as I have but consider it well worth it.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Really nice work Bob. I agree... your board holder is way cool. Looks like this isn't your first rodeo.

Really glad to see the Maggies! I just missed a pair of non-working 3B's locally for $60. Had a pair of of the original 3's back in the late 70's and still miss them to this day. Really power hungry but their mid-range is pure magic! I'd really like to know how they sound with the WOPL when you get both finished. Maybe a post on the Speaker side of the forum??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Isn't a 400 a little underpowered for the maggies? Course I think a WOPL 700 is just right for the kornerhorns...

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Really nice work Bob. I agree... your board holder is way cool. Looks like this isn't your first rodeo.

Really glad to see the Maggies! I just missed a pair of non-working 3B's locally for $60. Had a pair of of the original 3's back in the late 70's and still miss them to this day. Really power hungry but their mid-range is pure magic! I'd really like to know how they sound with the WOPL when you get both finished. Maybe a post on the Speaker side of the forum??
Thanks. Naw, its not my first rodeo. Over the years I have assembled literally over a thousand boards ranging from standard discrete component boards to high density surface mount boards. Lots of board level troubleshooting in between but nothing at all in audio. In audio is definitely a different animal. I have a bit to learn and I really do appreciate this forum to help me fill in the blanks. Great group of people here.

I really can relate on the Maggies. Can't wait to hear them with the WOPL amps. I will be posting what I think when I get done and have a chance to listen to everything together. I'm going to bi-amp the Maggie threes using the BEHRINGER DCX2496 after I get the mods done on it. I suspect pure listening pleasure. I am using Paul Speltz's Zero Autoformers to impedance match the 4 ohm maggies to 8 ohms for depth in the sound. Did a lot of research befor shelling out the 1000 bucks for the four that I have. Not sure if there less now. Would not have done it if I hadn't been so unsatisfied with the ADCOM driving the speakers directly. Those Zeros made all the difference in the world. But to get to the level of satisfied that I'm looking for I've come now to the WOPL. Woohoo! Can't wait.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I'd push mine with a Marantz 2325 receiver (125/ch) and that was barely enough in a small apartment. Figure the 400 would do nicely. Good thing I have a 400 AND 700 waiting to be rebuilt. Maybe there's another set of Maggies in my future. I have a feeling the match up with a WOPL 700 would be magical.

The impedance on the Maggies has been my biggest question. I think the ones I had were 6 ohm and all the new ones are 4 ohm. I do remember the early literature claimed they were easy on amplifiers as their load was purely resistive. I'd assume that means flat from top to bottom. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

I wonder if anyone on the boards has any input and experience with a WOPL on a Maggie. We might have to get Wendell Diller on this forum!!!

Last edited: