Record Stores... Whats your latest buy?

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
This thread will be used by me, and can be used by anyone buying records to post up their latest acquisitions.

I was out of town visiting my brother....starting the second phase of his basement reno. When we finished today, I wanted to hit the local shop out his way.

Formerly know as Big John's in Barrie Ontario, now known as BJ's. They carry many collectables, pictures, posters, CD's, Vinyl, styli, and carts, generally have a small stock of NOS tapes, and many other music related products.

I managed to find a few things.

Im a big Terminator fan and this was a real gem for me. I already have the Cassette single.

And of course, a couple ACDC.

Guns For Hire 7"

Money Talks 12" with poster.

Ben.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Cool stuff, Ben. This is the first you have mentioned BJs, if I'm not mistaken. How often do you pop in there? Or is it usually when you are seeing your brother? How's his reno coming along?

I was in the store today looking at al the new re-releases in vinyl. Our local London Drugs is selling more vinyl than CDs, currently. I may buy an LP on Monday, as I didn't have much time to look through all the shelves after work today.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Cool stuff, Ben. This is the first you have mentioned BJs, if I'm not mistaken. How often do you pop in there? Or is it usually when you are seeing your brother? How's his reno coming along?

Nando.
Actually Nando, the ACDC bootleg I made for you came from BJ's. When I lived in Barrie, I used to go to Big John's all the time. I try to hit BJ's whenever Im down that way.

The Reno, is coming along pretty good. Last year, I framed in and drywalled, what is now their laundry room. Yesterday we layed out and framed the rest of the basement exterior walls, framed in a bathroom, and a storage area under his stairs. My next trip down will involved the electrical rough in. I suspect before Christmas, we'll have it all boarded and taped in.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Used record shops are thriving here in Vancouver. I haven't been to Apollo Records for some time, but I am due to revisit there. The store acquired 60,000 albums from the CBC:

http://www.audiophilerecords.ca/

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Hit my local shop this aft. Bluestreak Records, Peterborough Ontario.

The find today was an original Anvil, Metal On Metal LP. :bounce:

Miracle Mile

Found this very rare album on vinyl (that was on my wishlist a long time) on a recordfair I visited yesterday:

Gerritsen is the bassplayer of the Golden Earring, and this solo project was recorded in 1979. I's out of print for years and it never was released on cd after that.
It's still a very solid and good sounding rock album.

I picked up this piece in mint condition for just €1,50......

Last edited:

Dazen1

I picked up this piece in mint condition for just €1,50......
I think we need to change your name to Miracle Mint.

Turntables, cassette decks and records being found in such great condition? You have the Midas Touch.

I have it!

Miracle Midas.

Thats sounds better...

Miracle Mile

I think we need to change your name to Miracle Mint.

Turntables, cassette decks and records being found in such great condition? You have the Midas Touch.

I have it!

Miracle Midas.

Thats sounds better...
No Daren, I know what to take home with me for an affordable price, and I take the time for it to investigate that first.

I don't like trash.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Miracle Midas doesn't sound bad either....
Oh, of course Miles, just saw ''Thats''-word and reminded me by the great THATS tapes, you know, i really never even heard of them till very recently and they were not popular here at all,,,,, just about the same story regarding Nakamichi :confused2:,,,,, when i signed in for the first time in audio forums i heard about... Ohh, i'm off-topic again... excuse please :smurf:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Picked up an original in shrink analog Epic 1st press of Jeff Beck Group s/t, man I dig his tone, especially on Ice Cream Cakes

Elite-ist

Staff member
The Black Keys

I did return back to London Drugs to buy "El Camino" from The Black Keys. The vinyl selection at this store has grown to about 250 titles from my estimation of going through them all. CD and Poster along with the vinyl. I hope it sounds good.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Picked up an original in shrink analog Epic 1st press of Jeff Beck Group s/t, man I dig his tone, especially on Ice Cream Cakes
I have an original of Truth on Epic. Phenomenal album. I love the early stuff with Rod Stewart, and Ronnie Wood.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I really like Black Keys: Brother, the one right before camino. Haven't pulled that one out in a while, but should probably get on that.

Not exactly purchases, instead trade-ins from getting rid of some doubles and stuff I didn't want. Walked in with a bunch of stuff I didn't want and walked out with:

New
Body/Head: Coming Apart (new Kim Gordon group)
Various: Bloodstains Across Texas

Used
Charles Mingus and his Jazz Groups: Dynasty
Tangerine Dream: Force Majeure & Ricochet
Parliament: Mothership Connection
Black Uhuru: Dub Factor
The Kinks: Misfits
Faces: A Nod is as Good as a Wink
Steppenwolf: Monster
Michael Jackson: Off the Wall (way better than Thriller in my opinion)

Still got credit to save for another day, couldda easily burnt through it on a bunch of great old garage rock albums they had, but paying 20-30 a pop for those 25-30 minute albums for the 1 or 2 tracks I want just doesn't seem right to me. Or didn't seem right this weekend, another day...