Latest dumpster find

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
My "guy" pulled this little beauty out of the trash. Sansui QRX-3500. I'm gonna have to rig this up and dig out some Emerson Lake and Palmer, Tarkus in quadraphonic! Has anyone ever messed with one of these? I read some different specs on them. One saying 180w which doesn't seem right and another saying 22wpc x 4 channel which sounds more reasonable.

Also so a question for Joe or Lee. I think I'm going to attempt the WOPL conversion on my 400 when I get vacation. Thinking about ordering parts fairly soon. My light board has seen better days so I'll order a new one, the driver board and what else will I need for a full complementary build?

Thanks

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Stick with the FTC, government approved RMS rating...the rest was audio LSD back then. 22 watts x4 was more than respectable for a quad receiver...my 1974 JVC set's 44 or so x4 is kickass fun.

orange

Tagline
It's not a dumpster, but one of the secondhand/thrifts or whatever that I can't fully recall had like a Soundcraftsman amplifier. I need to take my camera and go find it today.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A set of backplanes, outputs, cap kit, light board, rev E driver board, and a wire kit from Navo.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
A set of backplanes, outputs, cap kit, light board, rev E driver board, and a wire kit from Navo.
Also so a question for Joe or Lee. I think I'm going to attempt the WOPL conversion on my 400 when I get vacation. Thinking about ordering parts fairly soon. My light board has seen better days so I'll order a new one, the driver board and what else will I need for a full complementary build?

Thanks
Don't forget the transistors and silpads! Think about getting the DC protection circuit from Watts Abundant as well.

Congratulations on the decision, but know beforehand that it's a hell of a job. Finished mine 11 days ago, the upgrade does amazing things and is well worth the time and effort- others will tell you the same thing. What I previously thought were shortcomings in my speakers turned out to be shortcomings in the amplifier, so this is like a whole new stereo now. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.

White Oak shows the wiring kit as optional, but it's a necessary option unless you have a whole lot of stock in wires. Personally I think the price of the backplanes should be jacked up a bit to include the cost of the wiring kit and just include it in the shebang.

You will need a Variac and a dim bulb current limiting circuit for safe startup.

(Heyco pliers...)

Last edited:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
and a bridge rectifier, and new caps, to bypass and for supply, and a DBT and a variac, and a multimeter, and a big resistor and..............................

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Yeah I figure I'm in for a nice project. I'll start a thread in the WOPL section soon but I guess the first step is a parts list.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My "guy" pulled this little beauty out of the trash. Sansui QRX-3500. I'm gonna have to rig this up and dig out some Emerson Lake and Palmer, Tarkus in quadraphonic! Has anyone ever messed with one of these? I read some different specs on them. One saying 180w which doesn't seem right and another saying 22wpc x 4 channel which sounds more reasonable.

Thanks
Nice vintage find there...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Don't forget the transistors and silpads! Think about getting the DC protection circuit from Watts Abundant as well.

Congratulations on the decision, but know beforehand that it's a hell of a job. Finished mine 11 days ago, the upgrade does amazing things and is well worth the time and effort- others will tell you the same thing. What I previously thought were shortcomings in my speakers turned out to be shortcomings in the amplifier, so this is like a whole new stereo now. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.

White Oak shows the wiring kit as optional, but it's a necessary option unless you have a whole lot of stock in wires. Personally I think the price of the backplanes should be jacked up a bit to include the cost of the wiring kit and just include it in the shebang.

You will need a Variac and a dim bulb current limiting circuit for safe startup.

(Heyco pliers...)
Cannot forget the Heyco pliers Mark :) Missing your videos...classic and nicely done.

MarkWComer

Tagline
At one point you will either need to splice some additional length to the AC wire going to the thermal cutoff or pull out the strain relief plug and pull some more wire into the cabinet and replace the strain relief. There's a tool for that...

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 11.11.39 AM.jpg

MarkWComer

Tagline
Missing your videos...classic and nicely done.
My nephew's TV fell victim to a lightning strike. I'm convinced the power control board got blown because the satellite box and the PC he had connected to the TV still work fine. Started a video on it, waiting for FedEx to deliver the board...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Glad to see that Sansui quad receiver was rescued. Was that ELP quad recording on vinyl or open-reel? I have a Sansui QR-4500 that I had hooked up for a short time in an older system. I had a few quadraphonic pre-recorded 7" reels I played back through my Pioneer RT-1020L R2R deck. Very fascinating listening to the precursor to surround-sound. Much better ambience with the older 4 channel, I found.

Nando.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My nephew's TV fell victim to a lightning strike. I'm convinced the power control board got blown because the satellite box and the PC he had connected to the TV still work fine. Started a video on it, waiting for FedEx to deliver the board...
I am hoping you need some Heyco pliers to get it fixed Mark. You reaction was beautiful in the video when you came to that part.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Glad to see that Sansui quad receiver was rescued. Was that ELP quad recording on vinyl or open-reel? I have a Sansui QR-4500 that I had hooked up for a short time in an older system. I had a few quadraphonic pre-recorded 7" reels I played back through my Pioneer RT-1020L R2R deck. Very fascinating listening to the precursor to surround-sound. Much better ambience with the older 4 channel, I found.

Nando.
i remember my father having TARKUS on reel, (have stereo vinyl also)!but I couldn't say if either are true quad recordings. Been ages since. I saw the reels (still have 'em though). These quad amps are aimilar to the PL PRE AMPS WITHE THE "ambience" feature no? They split a
2 channel signal to 4 channels? I honestly haven't had much time to read about it.

BTW, sekcee rack der b'y. My woman keeps grumbling that I could get the same sound from a toaster sized unit, I keep telling her she can't hear for shit!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
At one point you will either need to splice some additional length to the AC wire going to the thermal cutoff or pull out the strain relief plug and pull some more wire into the cabinet and replace the strain relief. There's a tool for that...

View attachment 20481
Decent, I googled Heyco and they have about 4,569 models of pliers.

orange

Tagline
ABOUT???

Did you count them all? :hello1:

Seriously, that is Pliers Nirvana.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
ABOUT???

Did you count them all? :hello1:

Seriously, that is Pliers Nirvana.
Educated guess :toothy5: But I do have a couple pairs of "go to" pliers... One set being my Great Grandfathers "Kleins" he worked for Stamford Hydro in the 30's and a pair of old school transmission pliers (can't remember the brand). The Kleins are just quality as fvck, and the transmission pliers take apart all those pesky snap rings and "E" clips like butter! I've seen my friends struggle with something and I say "I got the tool for that"!