Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: oldphaser (Ed) Builds Some Amps (Phase Linear & White Oak Audio)

---
    Easily obtainable here in Texas. I think it varies by state. How much do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by oldphaser View Post
    Perry,

I have the Acetone but not 99.99% isopropyl. I have some 91% isopropyl alcohol I bought at the local drug store. Can the 99.99% be obtained fairly easily?

Thanks!
    Ed

---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180913_223231592_iOS.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	32181  

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Joe,

I got your e-mail and just downloaded the documents. I might be wrong, but it appears that the BOM Excel spreadsheet and pdf of Rev E4 still shows Q2. Likewise the "Change History PL14_PL20_RevE PCB" Word document show no change to Q2 either.

Ed
    We are referring to Q2L and Q2R Ed. Not Q2. That is what Jer was flagging.

The change history spells it out.

Q1 is an MJE15032 and Q2 is an MJE15033 and both are populated as the BOM calls out.

Excerpt from change history.
    ...ChangeR7L/R from 3.01K ohms, 1/4W, 1% to open
    ChangeR10L/R from 390 ohms, 1/4W, 1% to open
    ChangeQ2L/R from MPSA92 to open
    ChangeR5L/R from 3.01K ohms, 1/4W, 1% to 5.76K ohms, 1/4W, 1%
    ChangeR6L/R from 1.50K ohms, 1/4W, 1% to 182 ohms, 1/4W, 1%
    Last edited by Gepetto; 09-13-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
    Use Kester no-clean solder part number 245 1.1% flux. Full part number is Kester SN63PB37 1.1%/245 It is very low residue and the residue left behind is easy to clean when compared to Kester 44 Rosin flux.

Cleaning with this solder is optional. Clean using 91% isopropyl alcohol (available at Walmart in the pharmacy section) not acetone. Organic solvents such as acetone, tri-chlor and xylene attack the rubber seals in the electrolytic capacitors and should never be used (in addition to being bad for you). You can also use 3M Novec which is extremely good flux remover but is also very expensive.

Joe, all the manufacture says about ACETONE IS:

5)Cleaning after Soldering(1)Do not clean capacitors with the following cleaning agents:・Halogenated solvents: except for solvent resistant capacitor types, halogenated solvents can permeate the seal to corrode aluminum foilwithin capacitor.・Alkali solvents: could attack and dissolve aluminum can.・Petroleum based solvents: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Xylene: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Acetone: could blur print on sleeve.

When mixed with IPA @ 50% , it doesn't even do that. Some other cleaners do eat the rubber but not acetone. I wouldn't dunk them or soak them but an acid brush with some on there and a rinse with straight IPA won't hurt.

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/e_pdfs/aluminum/cautionalumi_eng.pdf
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    Joe, all the manufacture says about ACETONE IS:

5)Cleaning after Soldering(1)Do not clean capacitors with the following cleaning agents:・Halogenated solvents: except for solvent resistant capacitor types, halogenated solvents can permeate the seal to corrode aluminum foilwithin capacitor.・Alkali solvents: could attack and dissolve aluminum can.・Petroleum based solvents: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Xylene: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Acetone: could blur print on sleeve.

When mixed with IPA @ 50% , it doesn't even do that. Some other cleaners do eat the rubber but not acetone. I wouldn't dunk them or soak them but an acid brush with some on there and a rinse with straight IPA won't hurt.

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/e_pdfs/aluminum/cautionalumi_eng.pdf
    Thanks for researching it Perry. Good info...

Screw it
    I searched for a long time to figure something out for getting this old flux off the boards. 99% IPA is ok but works way better with 25-50% of ass-a-tone in the bottle. Some of the other solutions are expensive and when you do as many board a I do, you gots to find a cheaper solution for a solution...

I thought the print was getting blurry from the acetone but it was my VIsION after huffing it....
    Last edited by WOPL Sniffer; 09-13-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

I'm very curious about any tech item
    I used 99% IPA . Learned 30 years ago in Italtel / Siemens .
    ( used for cleaning after repairing or modifying boards )
    Very easy to find in pharmacy .
    Also perfect product to clean tape heads ,styli and laser lens .
    ( suggested by manufacturers in owner's manuals )
    Warning : it's also the perfect thinner for some kinds of acrylic paints .
    Ciao
    Marco

Screw it
    Perry,

I have the Acetone but not 99.99% isopropyl. I have some 91% isopropyl alcohol I bought at the local drug store. Can the 99.99% be obtained fairly easily?

Thanks!
    Ed
    I order it by the quart from mouser or DigiKey (IPA that is.., Acetone from HomoDepot)
    Last edited by WOPL Sniffer; 09-14-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Very cool build and test plan you have there Ed. I'll be following this one for sure!

Victim of the record bug since age five
    Also, Phase Linear typically mounted the resistors with the color coding from left to right (when facing the pc board with the wiring located at the bottom of the board). In this case, I followed the instructions and mounted them from right to left.
    I thought I was the only one with a particular form of OCD that forced me to mount with the coding from left to right. In case of vertical mount, from top to bottom, and in the case of diagonal, favor the NW corner.

Yeah... diodes first...