Thread: Nice Curbside

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black

Nice Curbside

A house around the corner was foreclosed, and gobs of stuff were thrown into a rolloff. A smaller pile was at the curb. I stopped IN THE RAIN and extracted an IBM Selectric typewriter and a JVC CD player. I cleaned it up, and it functions 100%! It's an XL-F108, and JVC units from that era seem to have a good rep, though I really don't care for carousel players. Now I have two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010213.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	32149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010214.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	32150  
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

Victim of the record bug since age five
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Short View Post
    A house around the corner was foreclosed, and gobs of stuff were thrown into a rolloff. A smaller pile was at the curb. I stopped IN THE RAIN and extracted an IBM Selectric typewriter and a JVC CD player. I cleaned it up, and it functions 100%! It's an XL-F108, and JVC units from that era seem to have a good rep, though I really don't care for carousel players. Now I have two.
    That looks very close to the Sony I used to have ages ago. Does the Selectric have a serial port? They were great PC printers. I had a Smith-Corona that had a serial port, but these days printed paper letters aren't done unless it's necessary for legal records.

Not to be a creep, but in Baltimore if you were caught scavenging stuff from foreclosures and evictions you were charged with looting!

I saw an actual TELETYPE machine at a thrift store (non-working, rotary) recently. Wicked awesome, exactly what I'd want if I wanted to block off another large portion of the living room (I got rid of the Yamaha organ when it broke).
    If it's Sunday Night, it's must be football and pizza!

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWComer View Post
    That looks very close to the Sony I used to have ages ago. Does the Selectric have a serial port? They were great PC printers. I had a Smith-Corona that had a serial port, but these days printed paper letters aren't done unless it's necessary for legal records.

Not to be a creep, but in Baltimore if you were caught scavenging stuff from foreclosures and evictions you were charged with looting!
    When the same thing happened across the street, several months ago, I did get some audio gear...and a 14K gold necklace. I call myself a "High-End Scrounger."
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]