Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Altronics K5192 Valve Preamp

Screw it
    Go home kids... The show is over......
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    If it sounds good, don't mess with it..... Besides, without looking at the skizmo, ya never know.... Usually you can experiment with the caps in the signal path to find "The Sound".. But, all our ears are different so I think I'll have another glass of Champ-Pagne....

The regulators usually won't affect anything if it was designed right, the Mosfets (misfits??) may ar may not... Mmmmmm, bubbles.....

HUH???
    Friday night drinks

Last edited by derek92994; 05-11-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    Amp: White Oaked Phase Linear 700b / Preamp: Phase Linear P 3600 / Speakers: JBL 4311b / Cassette: Nakamichi BX-300 / RTR: Teac X-10R / Phono Pre: Cambridge Audio 651p / Phono: Thorens TD 160 Super / Thorens TD 165 / 300 CD Changers (2x): Sony CDP-CX355/CDP-CX350 / VHS Hi-Fi: National NV-850 / Beta Hi-Fi: Sanyo VTC-M40
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gato92994 / Other Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6...dJ2Bu_sX_M0M5w

Screw it
    I tend to like the polypropylene over the polyester but Joe may chime in..... Will it make a diff??? Maybe, maybe not, but that is the fun of it if you like to experiment. Most of all? Have fun listening....

There are 8 polyester caps which you COULD change out (for polypropylene), but you may not notice the diff.... Shit, some caps change values during operation from heat/freq/drinking, and if you want to experiment to make your amp/Pre fit you system/ears... I say GO FOR IT or.... Maybe not... I experiment a lot.... Some things work, some don't. but, how ya gonna know... Sometimes, you can't find caps in the form/material/function so you get what you get.. Sometimes, the designer saved a few bucks.....

P
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

If it sounds good, don't mess with it..... Besides, without looking at the skizmo, ya never know.... Usually you can experiment with the caps in the signal path to find "The Sound".. But, all our ears are different so I think I'll have another glass of Champ-Pagne....

The regulators usually won't affect anything if it was designed right, the Mosfets (misfits??) may ar may not... Mmmmmm, bubbles.....

HUH???
    careful with those bubbles...

The #metoos haven't got to old a-one a-two YET...

I know NOTHING, I memorized it in school.

Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
    Stranger things have happened
    Amp: White Oaked Phase Linear 700b / Preamp: Phase Linear P 3600 / Speakers: JBL 4311b / Cassette: Nakamichi BX-300 / RTR: Teac X-10R / Phono Pre: Cambridge Audio 651p / Phono: Thorens TD 160 Super / Thorens TD 165 / 300 CD Changers (2x): Sony CDP-CX355/CDP-CX350 / VHS Hi-Fi: National NV-850 / Beta Hi-Fi: Sanyo VTC-M40
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gato92994 / Other Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6...dJ2Bu_sX_M0M5w

I'm very curious about any tech item
    Very nice , Derek !
    Now I have seen the laser cut box .
    Ciao
    Marco

I'm very curious about any tech item
    Derek ,
    a question : "What about EMC ?"
    For instance , if you receive a call on your mobile phone when you are near to the amp are there interferences ?
    The plastic case is very nice and fantastic for isolation , but it' s not a shield for EMC .
    It's only a my curiosity .
    Ciao
    Marco

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    I tend to like the polypropylene over the polyester but Joe may chime in..... Will it make a diff??? Maybe, maybe not, but that is the fun of it if you like to experiment. Most of all? Have fun listening....

There are 8 polyester caps which you COULD change out (for polypropylene), but you may not notice the diff.... Shit, some caps change values during operation from heat/freq/drinking, and if you want to experiment to make your amp/Pre fit you system/ears... I say GO FOR IT or.... Maybe not... I experiment a lot.... Some things work, some don't. but, how ya gonna know... Sometimes, you can't find caps in the form/material/function so you get what you get.. Sometimes, the designer saved a few bucks.....

P
    PP is best but PE is not a bad choice either.