Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Altronics K5192 Valve Preamp

Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed

Altronics K5192 Valve Preamp

Bought this one as a kit to assemble, with a mounting box (to be fitted later) and upgraded 15 volt power supply (instead of 12 volt). All parts required for assembly, operation and mounting to case are included, as well as a 12 volt power supply which has not been used. The instructions are easy to understand, have excellent first power up checks, and good detail on assembly.

This was a good opportunity to improve on my soldering skills. There are two Surface mount components on the board which I had a friend do.

Altronics K5192 Valve Preamp Specs:

Variable Gain: -100db to +12db
    Distortion: <0.01% THD+N@20Hz-20kHz, 1.2 volt output
    Flat Frequency Response: +1,-0dB 20Hz-20kHz
    Channel Separation: >85db@1kHz, >60dB@20kHz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 105dB relative to 1 Volt Input (20Hz-20kHz bandwidth)

There were no issues on first power up, all tests passed in terms of voltage behavior. The voltage going to the tube drops 10-20 volts once the tube has warmed up and stabilized, there are some handy test pads towards the center of the board for this.

Running the included 12AX7 Electro Harmonix Tubes for now.

The sound is good, however I have ordered some higher grade ones to experiment with also.

Balanced Sovtek 12AX7 LPS

Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 B759 ECC83 Gold Pins Matched Pair

The Genalex look to be some of the best tubes out there.

With the included tubes the Pre sounds fine, the warmness is certainly there with good high end, keen to try the other tubes when they arrive. Time will tell if a break in period was required for the sound to reach its quality potential.

Very much enjoying this Tube Valve sound.
    Amp: White Oaked Phase Linear 700b / Preamp: Phase Linear P 3600 / Speakers: JBL 4311b / Cassette: Nakamichi BX-300 / RTR: Teac X-10R / Phono Pre: Cambridge Audio 651p / Phono: Thorens TD 160 Super / Thorens TD 165 / 300 CD Changers (2x): Sony CDP-CX355/CDP-CX350 / VHS Hi-Fi: National NV-850 / Beta Hi-Fi: Sanyo VTC-M40
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gato92994 / Other Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6...dJ2Bu_sX_M0M5w

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    Cool project, Darcy. What component(s) do you intend to run through it?

Nando.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
    Cool project, Darcy. What component(s) do you intend to run through it?

Nando.
    Hi Nando, I will try all components like Tape, CD, Vinyl, PC (Flac/Hi-res), not sure of how I want it permanently connected yet. Its a nice addition to the setup and a good way to learn about different valves.
    Amp: White Oaked Phase Linear 700b / Preamp: Phase Linear P 3600 / Speakers: JBL 4311b / Cassette: Nakamichi BX-300 / RTR: Teac X-10R / Phono Pre: Cambridge Audio 651p / Phono: Thorens TD 160 Super / Thorens TD 165 / 300 CD Changers (2x): Sony CDP-CX355/CDP-CX350 / VHS Hi-Fi: National NV-850 / Beta Hi-Fi: Sanyo VTC-M40
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gato92994 / Other Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6...dJ2Bu_sX_M0M5w

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    I am interested to hear your findings with using digital sources played through the tube pre-amp. I hope it's a discernible difference from solid state.

Nando.

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    Great project!
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

I'm very curious about any tech item
    What about the cabinet ?
    For me it's the most difficult thing to do .
    Are there nice cabinets for preamps ?
    I' m not able to find them ; one of my ideas is to design ( better to say copy ) a solid
    state preamp to drive my father's PL 700 , because now we have a PL 700B .
    Speakers could be AR 3a or 3a improved .
    Ciao
    Marco

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Coolness D arc...... you've come s looooooong way from soldering in a transformer.
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

I am interested to hear your findings with using digital sources played through the tube pre-amp. I hope it's a discernible difference from solid state.

Nando.
    I'm wondering if it will make his turntable sound even nicer in his You Tube videos!
    If I don't really exist then at over 15,000 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

Screw it
    Now THATS cool.... I want to build one too!!!!!!!
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Nando.
    In the near future, I will play some sources with and without the Valve pre, and record into the PC, then put a file share link in here so you can compare. I suspect a bit too much brightness at this stage. The Lows and Mids are great though. This all could be related to the fact that neither the components or valves have broken in yet.

When connecting the Valve Pre to a source then directly into the amp, there was very little bass. I put this down to the fact that the Valve Pre does not have a loudness function. But when I run the Valve Pre through the Phase linear Pre, there is plenty of bass, what I am used to hearing. Of course the P3600 has a loudness function which is always switched on.

So does it sound reasonable to run the Valve pre through the existing solid state PL pre? I like what I hear with this setup, and would like to think the Valves have a positive effect on the overall sound. A/B tests still need to be done, been so busy just listening to the valves over the last 2 nights