Thread: Soldering the pem nuts on back planes

Forum Veteran

Soldering the pem nuts on back planes

I'm doing one of my own 700B's. The pem nuts on the back plane obviously requires a lot of heat. I found a solution that works pretty good. I bought one of the hot air guns on Amazon (and paid the $2.49 for a 4 year warranty). It did a very good job with some patience. Temperature was 410C, max air flow and large tip. After some trial and error I found that with the tip about 1/2" from the surface, I waited 7-8 seconds for it to heat up and then applied solder. The trick is to apply a small amount and let it flow. The board was sitting on top of a painted masonite bench and the paint got nearly hot enough to bubble. I did the cups with the small tip and it's very easy to get solder into the cups. No solder paste needed. I tried some once and it made a mess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back plane pem nuts.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	31664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back plane pem nuts 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	31665

Anybody who clicks on the link please explain what the coil of wire is for and the other tool. I could find no mention of it in the worst translated manual I think I've seen.

https://www.amazon.com/YAOGONG-Rewor...md+hot+air+gun
    Last edited by wattsabundant; 04-09-2018 at 11:44 PM.

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    The device with two prongs is called an IC pick. Not sure about the wire, might just be wire - there if you need some.

---
    Great idea 👍 !!! You just helped me figure out how to do mine. Thank you 😊
    Just Another Day in Paradise

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Bout time you did one Don!!

taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Bout time you did one Don!!

I've done a few, for other people. You're right though, I'm past due for a 700. I've still got the 400II you did years ago.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsabundant View Post
    I've done a few, for other people. You're right though, I'm past due for a 700. I've still got the 400II you did years ago.
    We didn't have backplanes then though....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014