Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nakamichi indecision

---

Nakamichi indecision

I have not owned of a cassette deck for a long time...since my Pioneer bit the bullet in a moving accident and was damaged beyond repair. Been keeping an eye open lately for a good local
    deal and found 2. I can pick up a LX-3 or a DR-3 at ďreasonableĒ prices and not sure which to
    grab. Both are 2 head machines, but I can live with that I have read somewhere the LX uses the same head as the Dragonís but may be an internet myth..... Both are in incredible physical shape....flawless, both have real low usage hours, both include original boxes and paperwork. Damn....I just donít know.

which would choose and why?
    Just Another Day in Paradise

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    I don't know about either model. But, I did look them up. The original retail price on the LX-3 was $170 higher than the DR-3, even though it pre-dates the DR-3 by a decade. Better mechanicals on the LX-3. You have to like the looks of the LX-3.

Nando.
    Last edited by Elite-ist; 04-09-2018 at 04:37 PM.

---
    Itís the better buy of the two and yes.....I am totally digging the look of it and was really leaning in that direction. This is a truly an awesome tape-head hangout filled with great knowledge....so I would be remiss if I didnít ask I just didnít want to jump headfirst and find out I should have bought the other a day too late. Story of my life

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    Let us know how you make out on the LX-3 purchase, Kevin.

Nando.

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by finebar4 View Post
    Itís the better buy of the two and yes.....I am totally digging the look of it and was really leaning in that direction. This is a truly an awesome tape-head hangout filled with great knowledge....so I would be remiss if I didnít ask I just didnít want to jump headfirst and find out I should have bought the other a day too late. Story of my life
    Heheh.. well we did call it the Phoenix Tape Co in the early days. Check your PM's, Kev.. I think it's time to pass on a relic your way as far as the forum goes!
    Mains - "Frankey", the WOPL'd 700 "in disguise", Backplaned With Fully Complementary Output Stage / Sansui AU-517 (Pre Only) / CV D-9's (mod'd)
    Analog - Denon DN-790R, Technics SL-Q5 Linear Tracker
    Digital - Asus Xonar ST feeding an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC running at 96K, pure digital bliss
    Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three do! - 2NU

Spare me from your need of emotional rescue
    The DR Series have clunky mechanisms, have a lot of chassis resonances and are from the era of cost cutting. Owned a DR-1 for quite a while and it couldn't keep up.

Fire up both decks side-by-side and put your ear to both. You'll see what I mean.
    | WOPL | Sony ES | B&W | Rotel | MoFi | AT | Denon | SoundMagic | Ultrasone | Cobalt Cable | PS Audio | Signet | Oppo |

ĎWe Fulfilled Far More Promises than We Promisedí ********************** Excellent Political Journalism Died when Tim Russert Did.

---
    Unfortunatly they are both on opposite ends of town, but I will truly take your word for it!!!! I appreciate the input!!! Jerry solved my crisis and I will soon be posting picís of my new to me deck and one of the two 707ís I scored tied into my mess at home. Hopefully they wonít be in the shop
    long....

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeES View Post
    The DR Series have clunky mechanisms, have a lot of chassis resonances and are from the era of cost cutting. Owned a DR-1 for quite a while and it couldn't keep up.

Fire up both decks side-by-side and put your ear to both. You'll see what I mean.

---
    Decision made!!! Taking Nandoís advice and a wonderful offer from Jerry......I chose. I am proud Papa to a new to me LX-3 purchased locally at a price I couldnít say no to AND a LX-5 compliments of jbeckva (Jerry) that he offered to pass on to a good home. The 3 will anchor playback in the garage setup, the 5 will being pulling duty in the main setup. Both have their issues currently, the 3 does everything but go into record...the 5 has itís own idler concerns. Both have been sitting a while so need a good cleaning and lube. I see some awesome mixed tapes in my near future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	465A4D03-DDDB-4FC8-81AA-6EA586E7132E.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	31708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7A2896F-7FDB-407A-A3FD-C351B08B44EA.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	31709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31B5F049-1C8E-4570-9FBF-422F538B7215.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	31710  

Spare me from your need of emotional rescue
    Congrats !
    | WOPL | Sony ES | B&W | Rotel | MoFi | AT | Denon | SoundMagic | Ultrasone | Cobalt Cable | PS Audio | Signet | Oppo |

ĎWe Fulfilled Far More Promises than We Promisedí ********************** Excellent Political Journalism Died when Tim Russert Did.

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!
    Take good care of the LX-5 bud, that deck has special value as it was a gift to me from Larry for setting up this here forum..

Miss the ole curmudgeon.. it's in a good home now LOL
    Mains - "Frankey", the WOPL'd 700 "in disguise", Backplaned With Fully Complementary Output Stage / Sansui AU-517 (Pre Only) / CV D-9's (mod'd)
    Analog - Denon DN-790R, Technics SL-Q5 Linear Tracker
    Digital - Asus Xonar ST feeding an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC running at 96K, pure digital bliss
    Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three do! - 2NU