Thread: LOOSE RCA JACKS (Switchcraft 3501FR) Phase Linear Amplifiers & Others

LOOSE RCA JACKS (Switchcraft 3501FR) Phase Linear Amplifiers & Others

I just posted this in another thread and thought I should create a new thread so others may see this as well.

Do you still have the original Switchcraft 3501FR RCA input jacks on your Phase Linear amplifier?

If so, I would suggest checking the RCA jacks out. In order to do this; find a RCA patch cable you are willing to sacrifice. Bend the (4) petals back so that only the center pin is exposed. (NOTE: The nominal diameter should be close to .125"). Now use the RCA jack like an inspector would use a GO-NO Go plug gage and insert it into the jack on the back of your amplifier. There should be some resistance when you plug it into the female input on the RCA jack. I have found that approximately 60% or so of all the old Phase Linear amps have at least (1) loose input jack. Unfortunately, the Phase Linear service manuals do not discuss this (nor any other manufacturer I have seen who utilizes chassis mount RCA jacks).
    NOTE: This has not been a problem with PC board mount style RCA jacks.

If your jack(s) are loose.....
    WARNING: Be sure to wear safety goggles.
    1.) Examine the opposite end of the jack and locate the solder tab (this will be the view as taken from inside the amplifier). Note the orientation of the solder tab.
    2.) On the other end of the jack locate the area directly across (180 degrees) from the solder tab.
    3.) Using a small flat-bladed jeweler's screwdriver and wedge it between the formed jack and the insulating material.
    4.) Reform the jack by bending it back slightly with the jeweler's screwdriver.

See attached photos.

I hope this information is of some help.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	31562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	31561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	31560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	31559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCA test jack.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	31558  

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Thanks Ed....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Screw it
    The originals are junk. I replace them asap. Don't bend or fuck with them, replace them. Afro-engneering has no place in your stereo.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

---
    Quote Originally Posted by oldphaser View Post
    I just posted this in another thread and thought I should create a new thread so others may see this as well.

Do you still have the original Switchcraft 3501FR RCA input jacks on your Phase Linear amplifier?

If so, I would suggest checking the RCA jacks out. In order to do this; find a RCA patch cable you are willing to sacrifice. Bend the (4) petals back so that only the center pin is exposed. (NOTE: The nominal diameter should be close to .125"). Now use the RCA jack like an inspector would use a GO-NO Go plug gage and insert it into the jack on the back of your amplifier. There should be some resistance when you plug it into the female input on the RCA jack. I have found that approximately 60% or so of all the old Phase Linear amps have at least (1) loose input jack. Unfortunately, the Phase Linear service manuals do not discuss this (nor any other manufacturer I have seen who utilizes chassis mount RCA jacks).
    NOTE: This has not been a problem with PC board mount style RCA jacks.

If your jack(s) are loose.....
    WARNING: Be sure to wear safety goggles.
    1.) Examine the opposite end of the jack and locate the solder tab (this will be the view as taken from inside the amplifier). Note the orientation of the solder tab.
    2.) On the other end of the jack locate the area directly across (180 degrees) from the solder tab.
    3.) Using a small flat-bladed jeweler's screwdriver and wedge it between the formed jack and the insulating material.
    4.) Reform the jack by bending it back slightly with the jeweler's screwdriver.

See attached photos.

I hope this information is of some help.

Ed
    I have done this a few times, even on new ons that are not tight
    try the Lightening Bolt WOPL 1000 for a hair lifting experience today

Warning !!! Use only when you want to blown the town down

proud father of the only WOPL Fully Comp dual 500

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    The originals are junk. I replace them asap. Don't bend or fuck with them, replace them. Afro-engneering has no place in your stereo.
    I resemble that remark !!
    Main System: PC-Audioquest Jitterbug / Technics SL-3300-Schitt DAC-Sumo Diana-B&K EX 442-Polk SDA2b's
    Confucius say, panties not best thing on earth, but next to it. Confucius say, man who like stereo love to boom boom.