Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: B&K PRO 5 Preamp

Like my BlueTooth ?

B&K PRO 5 Preamp

Looking for suggestions on a cheap but very well made Pre. that I would like to restore and possibly upgrade. I know for a fact that I would like to put an ALPs or other recommended volume pot in as the on in there does not track well and I can easily see that it is a pretty cheap one. I was thinking of all new electrolytics Panasonic FC series and a bit bigger uF and voltage PS caps. Keep in mind this would be a backup unit for my C2 just in case. Let it roll with what you think. This one has the upgraded gold plated RCA/Phono jacks already and is extremely well built. I do not use the tone controls and it has a switch to bypass them already. It also has a direct bypass switch. I was also thinking of putting a new balance pot in. Here are some images. Thanks> By the way if this is not the place for stuff like this tell me where to go, literally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_144041.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	30986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143435.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	30987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143443.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	30988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143448.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	30989
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143621.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	30990  
    Last edited by VSAT88; 12-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Main System: PC-Audioquest Jitterbug / Technics SL-3300-Schitt DAC-Sumo Diana-B&K EX 442-Polk SDA2b's
    Confucius say, panties not best thing on earth, but next to it. Confucius say, man who like stereo love to boom boom.

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VSAT88 View Post
    Looking for suggestions on a cheap but very well made Pre. that I would like to restore and possibly upgrade. I know for a fact that I would like to put an ALPs or other recommended volume pot in as the on in there does not track well and I can easily see that it is a pretty cheap one. I was thinking of all new electrolytics Panasonic FC series and a bit bigger uF and voltage PS caps. Keep in mind this would be a backup unit for my C2 just in case. Let it roll with what you think. This one has the upgraded gold plated RCA/Phono jacks already and is extremely well built. I do not use the tone controls and it has a switch to bypass them already. It also has a direct bypass switch. I was also thinking of putting a new balance pot in. Here are some images. Thanks> By the way if this is not the place for stuff like this tell me where to go, literally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_144041.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	30986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143435.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	30987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143443.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	30988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171217_143448.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	30989
    'Cheap but very well made' seem to be at odds with each other...

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
    'Cheap but very well made' seem to be at odds with each other...
    Cheap as in very inexpensive. I have little in it.
    Last edited by VSAT88; 12-23-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    Main System: PC-Audioquest Jitterbug / Technics SL-3300-Schitt DAC-Sumo Diana-B&K EX 442-Polk SDA2b's
    Confucius say, panties not best thing on earth, but next to it. Confucius say, man who like stereo love to boom boom.

Screw it
    Does nobody like to save up and when they have the cash, buy something worth a squirt? Just adding a volume and balance pot is a bit of work if done correctly. If the engineering has been done, it's worth saving and buying. Just kludging some shit together may not be the best idea (especially for a preamp). Sell some junk thats wasting space in the closet, sell your scratched Janet Jackson 45's, its easy to raise cash for something decent to work with. Just because it's electronic, and sitting on the curb, don't mean you HAVE to bring it home and save it.

Huh????
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    Tried to call you earlier Perry, you out there burning a cactus bonfire ?

eh, maybe try you tomorrow, hitting the sack now
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy, post: 11205733, member: 245918
    my eyes were forced shut by the air pressure change
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Well, I said if this is not the place for stuff like this to tell me where to go.. literally... guess I got my answer !

Screw it
    We are kings of the "Thread Crappers" this is as good a place as any. You did not get an answer, you got a question. I still don't think you can build a silk purse out of a squirrel scotum. Save up, you wont be sorry.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
    Tried to call you earlier Perry, you out there burning a cactus bonfire ?

eh, maybe try you tomorrow, hitting the sack now

Hey Ron, I'll be out in the shop in a couple hours, it's cold as hell here in southern Arizona. Got to 19 degrees last night. Waiting to warm up.... gotta box a 4000t i just finished. I put a remote volume in it, recapped the electro's, and replaced some of the RC4136's with a bunch of Brown Dogs with 2134's.... also chase cracked solder joints, and a faulty IC socket.... kept me busy. Plus, i sold the dodge and scored an 85 C10. Being retired, i dont need a truck payment. And, I'm saving for a squirrel scrotum.....

Huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Hell naw, not a squirrel scrotum! You guys are right, cant polish a turd. Fact...I did get and answer. Sell the B&K as it works fine and keep my Basic C2 that works perfectly and has been completely rebuilt like new (internally anyhow). Find and buy an American made preamp which is what I am shooting for anyhow. I have all American made components except the preamp now so, that's whats next.

Like my BlueTooth ?