Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoked lens PL 400 LED upgrade question.

Like my BlueTooth ?

Smoked lens PL 400 LED upgrade question.

The PL 400 I have has the smoked lens on the meters. I kind of like the green or blue lights that some amps have better that the normal bulbs. Was thinking a kit from WO of course. They have two blues, diffused and bright if I recall correctly. How do I determine which of the two to order ? Do I need to remove and replace (somehow) the tinted lens to make it all work out ? Is there a way to go with green LEDs ? I think I like a similar color to Marantz or Mcintosh .
    Last edited by VSAT88; 12-04-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Main System: PC-Audioquest Jitterbug / Technics SL-3300-Schitt DAC-Sumo Diana-B&K EX 442-Polk SDA2b's
    Confucius say, panties not best thing on earth, but next to it. Confucius say, man who like stereo love to boom boom.

Screw it
    Go into the WOPL Build/ For Sale section and look at all the upgrade projects. Find a color that suits your eye and talk to Joe or the builder as to what you prefer. Joe can accommodate you (I've ordered almost any color except black) and has the calculations already done as the value of a few resistors depends on what color you decide on. Leave the smoked lenses in place, they look great before and after illumination.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Screw it
    Question to ya though, not being a dick but since the parts cost about the same to build a 400 or a 700B/Series II, why would you not take the double horsepower of the 700? If you have to sell down the road, the 400 will be worth a fraction of what the 700B/II will be IF you can sell it.... At roughly $600 for backplanes/control board/bulk caps/output transistors/DCP/RCA's/Speaker jacks etc, you get ALOT MORE bang for the buck. 700 cores tend to be more expensive but well worth it and it is possible to get a $199 700B with free shipping in this day and age.... Just asking. No offence on the 400 besides the fact I would go with the BIG HAMMER.

P
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    Re the smoked meter lenses.

Some months back I got hold of a 400 with meters like that. The tint was so dark it was hard to notice that the original incandescent bulbs were even lit.

The new light board I put in had blue LED's that did not look good at all behind the tinting. After swapping out the blue LED'e for "Bright White" LED's all was good.

Just my opinion, but I don't think coloured LED's would look right except with clear lenses.

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 62vauxhall View Post
    Re the smoked meter lenses.

Some months back I got hold of a 400 with meters like that. The tint was so dark it was hard to notice that the original incandescent bulbs were even lit.

The new light board I put in had blue LED's that did not look good at all behind the tinting. After swapping out the blue LED'e for "Bright White" LED's all was good.

Just my opinion, but I don't think coloured LED's would look right except with clear lenses.
    I second this... If you guys recall, I was looking for ways to get rid of the smoke tint for this very reason having blue LED's that looked.. well.. quite unimpressive. : )
    Mains - "Frankey", the WOPL'd 700 "in disguise", Backplaned With Fully Complementary Output Stage / Sansui AU-517 (Pre Only) / CV D-9's (mod'd)
    Analog - Denon DN-790R, Technics SL-Q5 Linear Tracker
    Digital - Asus Xonar ST DAC running at 96K, pure digital bliss

You can't fight the fella ... in the Brite Nitegown - D Fagen
    Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three do! - 2NU

I'm very curious about any tech item
    Remember my old thread :
    Improving Pl 4000 light board kit .
    I would like to add this simple method to find the colour you prefer :
    -use a variable power supply ( eg . a model train DC power supply )
    -connect a led with 470 / 680 Ohm in series to the power supply
    -insert only one led into a hole of the VU
    -try many leds till you find what you like
    -calculate the right resistor for your leds
    Joe uses 180 Ohm for white led ( 20 mA ) and I used 360 ( 10 mA) ( starting from approx. 8V )
    -locate the leds and right resistors on the board and "voila' "
    Don't forget to sand the leds to avoid shades .
    At this point you can obtain everything : green , blue , red , yellow , sunny white , cold white ,and so on .
    To find the right colour took me 3 days , because you have to
    test the brightness during the day and during the night .
    Ciao
    Marco

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    Question to ya though, not being a dick but since the parts cost about the same to build a 400 or a 700B/Series II, why would you not take the double horsepower of the 700? If you have to sell down the road, the 400 will be worth a fraction of what the 700B/II will be IF you can sell it.... At roughly $600 for backplanes/control board/bulk caps/output transistors/DCP/RCA's/Speaker jacks etc, you get ALOT MORE bang for the buck. 700 cores tend to be more expensive but well worth it and it is possible to get a $199 700B with free shipping in this day and age.... Just asking. No offence on the 400 besides the fact I would go with the BIG HAMMER.

P
    No, I agree with you no offense taken. I do not intend to WOPL the 400 I have but I have considered putting a light kit in. When I can I am going WOPL 700 no doubt on that one. I want one so I will eventually have it. The only two questions I would have in that respect are these. How long will it take me to come up with the cash to start the project, or what shall I sell to go ahead and get started right away. And...Do I build it myself or just buy one from you.
    Main System: PC-Audioquest Jitterbug / Technics SL-3300-Schitt DAC-Sumo Diana-B&K EX 442-Polk SDA2b's
    Confucius say, panties not best thing on earth, but next to it. Confucius say, man who like stereo love to boom boom.

Like my BlueTooth ?
    E mail sent to WO. I think I like the water blue. We will see. Either way I should be able to change the LED's-resistors if needed to fix it up nice. Thanks all.

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    The ice blue/white is my favorite for the meters. I did not like the Marantz/McIntosh blue at all. Made the registers look weird

Here is Silvara (400) with the color I am referring to

Last edited by Northwinds; 12-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy, post: 11205733, member: 245918
    my eyes were forced shut by the air pressure change
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    I have 'Clear blue' on order, along with control board & backplane for a 400. Is that the same as 'Ice blue'?