Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PL 3300 Series II rebuild/upgrade

Survived the Thomas fire
    Thanks Lee.
    If you get offended by the jokes and comments on here, go ahead and blame your parents... for raising a pussy.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Welcome Sir!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    Got my Care Package from Dennis and spent the day building the two upgrade boards. They may be a little crude, but they'll be functional (fingers crossed). I'll need to cut them down a bit, so they'll fit nicely in the chassis. I'll also build stand-offs for mounting. But I checked all the connections to make sure everything is arranged as designed, and they appear to be ready for installation. The phono-stage is pretty straight-forward, but I'll re-check all the pin-out connections on the power supply before I install it. Gonna go de-solder later today and then get the board nice and clean.

Power Supply
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3300  6.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	31753 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3300  1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	31754

Phono-Stage

Name:	3300  5.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	31755 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3300  2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	31756

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
    The existing bulk caps are still used in conjunction with this add on circuit. Thus there is very much more capacitance on both input and output after this add on is installed.

My question is this: IF you use the LM7815 and the LM7915 regulators, the data sheet says Min input voltage is +17.5 volts and -17.5 volts respectively, is the voltage from the power supply that AFU? I don't have a skizmo in front of me so I don't know where this upgrade is tied in on the circuit so help me out here. As a matter of fact, I don't see a skizmo even available for the 3300...
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Screw it
    I see there are a couple pages missing from the upgrade or I probably could have figured it out but it doesn't show what color wires he used on his upgrade board. I see what color and where they go but not what/where he used them on the add on board. did I miss a page? I see a few missing...

HUH??
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

---
    This is what I was able to find from my Lou files. I hope this helps make sense of the upgrade Lou designed. I didn't have the PCB this time, so I just used some project board and soldered the connections directly. It probably wasn't necessary, but if you look at the photo of the top of the board, you can see that I included a jumper, the red wire, for the negative trace.

Name:	Lou's Rules.pdf 
Views:	16 
Size:	9.90 MB 
ID:	31758

---
    Unfortunately, I can't find the parts list from Lou's upgrade. But the suggestions elsewhere on this site are what I purchased from Dennis for this project. I have another 3300 with Lou's upgrades in it, and it performs beautifully. It's paired with a 400 Series II I upgraded a couple years ago, also with a kit Lou sold before he passed away (we were buddies and lived near each other in the Bay Area). I'm doing this 3300 for the WOPL early 400 I'm still working on. This 3300 will take the place on an NAD unit that recently went to meet its maker. The thing developed a bad buzzing and suffered an audible deterioration in performance. I may go through it at a later time, but I was just using it until I found another 3300 to put in its place. I think I have the printed material for Lou's 400 Series II upgrade around somewhere as well. But I haven't a doubt that the WO kit is far superior anyway. But if I run across it, I'll post it, just for sake of reference and discussion.

Screw it
    No, I understood most everything, I just didn't see the page with the wire colors. I see now, thanks. I may have to try this.... Sux though that I see no skizmo for the 3300. I looked but not too hard, it's not on HiFiEngine.... No luck.

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Screw it
    Without the schematic, I still don't see how the LM7815, and the LM7915 *which have a minimum + 17.5V and -17.5V inputs. If the original board has 20 volts coming out of the power supply to the rest of the board, then I can see these working.

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

---
    I'm not sure what the policy is on this site, but this is a copy of 'my' original 3300 Service Manual, with schemazmataz. The scan isn't great, but it's the best I can do for the moment. Because I've always had this (from my original 3300 purchase in 1980), I've never tried to find other copies. But my guess would be that Ebay would be the likely source, but at a price.

As for the efficacy of the upgrade, you'd have to ask Joe or Dennis. Joe looked it over and pronounced it a wise upgrade. But I can't specifically answer your question on the voltage.

Name:	3300ServiceManual.pdf 
Views:	25 
Size:	5.25 MB 
ID:	31759
    Last edited by scottonnob; 04-30-2018 at 10:23 PM.