Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PL 3300 Series II rebuild/upgrade

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Dennis , was it the thread where we brought the low frequency response down??
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NavLinear View Post
    Scott and I want to come up with a comprehensive list of components to swap out such as metal film resistors to replace the carbon comp ones where improvement can be gained, replacing the electrolytic capacitors and capacitors in the signal path where improvement can be had. ICs will also be upgraded, pots cleaned and... I'm gathering information from one of Lee's 3300 II upgrade threads that include a number of inputs from Joe that we'll use here. My plan is to list of components to be replaced and couple that with part numbers of the new components.

I have a question for you guys about the lower value capacitors. What series do you use for audio signal path capacitors? I'm having trouble locating metalized or film or foil polypropylene and/or polyester capacitors below 33pF. WIMA produces a series (FKP2) that begins at 33pF and up. These are rated to 1000V and in the preamp circuit we're dealing with low voltages. We want to replace capacitors down to 10pF. I've located Cornell Dubilier silver mica caps series that go down to 1pF. Here's a part number of a 10pF cap as a reference - CD5CC100JO3F.

Any thoughts regarding a best path forward is appreciated.
    I think ya got it covered there Navo...

I can dig out my cap stash and see what we put in that 3300 Navo...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Survived the Thomas fire
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Dennis , was it the thread where we brought the low frequency response down??
    Yes - that's the one that I copied some of the text and filed it away. I've been going through my notes and I didn't find any reference to the small picofarad film caps.
    If you get offended by the jokes and comments on here, go ahead and blame your parents... for raising a pussy.

Administrator
    Hang on...

Survived the Thomas fire
    I think ya got it covered there Navo...

I can dig out my cap stash and see what we put in that 3300 Navo...
    Thanks Lee - I'm curious about what was used.
    If you get offended by the jokes and comments on here, go ahead and blame your parents... for raising a pussy.

Administrator
    Navo, the only sub 33pf I have is some CD-10pf mica....
    I have some 33pf Wima film caps...

I happen to have that pre-amp here if you need to see more of it....

Administrator
    Give me a list of the cap component numbers ya want and I'll get em off this 3300...

Administrator
    Some pics Navo....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0602[1].jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	30577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0603[1].jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	30578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0604[1].jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	30579  

Survived the Thomas fire
    Give me a list of the cap component numbers ya want and I'll get em off this 3300...
    C108 and C208 10pF

I believe there is a 27pF cap that's in the signal path but can't seem to find it.

C114 C115 and C214 C215 33pF

C102 and C202 100pF

Did you wind up using LM4562 for Z101 and Z102 and TLE2072 for Z103 and Z104?

Administrator
    Z101--OPA 2134 on a Brown Dog adapter, Z102, 103, 104 TLE 2072.

C108, 208 have the stock 10pf ceramic cap. Must be why i bought a bunch of the 10pf CD mica's...

C114, 115, C214, 215 33pf, Wima Film Caps, 1000 volt 5% PCM5 Mouser part number----FKP2O100331D00JSSD

C102, 202---Kemet 100pf film cap, 63 volt 5%, Mouser part number--
    PFR5101J63J11I( could beL) 4