Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: So, here I go. Phase Linear 400

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
    Welcome Jim, hopefully soon you will be enjoying your amp!!
    Thanks, however I think I got a while to go !
    Main System: PC-DAC and CD as well as Phonograph in to a Kenwood C2 w B&K 442 amp. Polk Audio SDA-SRS 2 speakers.

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Measure DC offset and Bias......to see if things look normal...
    Oh no, things do not look normal. On the DBT last night I noticed that the 100W bulb never completely dimmed. I have had amps do this before (B&K) without issue. Anyway, I went to check bias today and what I found was not so great. At 45-50 VAC (without the DBT, just the veriac) the left channel bias went well above .35 DC. It went to .100 without a problem. The more I turned the veriac up the larger the number. On the right side I get no bias at all. Another big time issue...When I hit 50 VAC on the veriac the left front panel meter pegs all the way out. Cant recall DC offset but do not think it matters too much considering the problems I have now. Thanks, Jim.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bias Right From Front.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	30203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bias Left From Front.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	30204
    Last edited by VSAT88; 09-13-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Main System: PC-DAC and CD as well as Phonograph in to a Kenwood C2 w B&K 442 amp. Polk Audio SDA-SRS 2 speakers.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Yes , it does matter, we need to know if the offset is in the millivolt or volt range...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    And it's OK to use the DBT, when you are dealing with a current problem, it's nice to have a current limiter in circuit...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Like my BlueTooth ?
    OK, still without the DBT, just the veriac. ( from now on I will use DBT untill I am told differently). At around 50 VAC the right channel DC offset is .008 The left channel DC offset is .002 At the same AC voltage of 50 VAC the left meter starts pegging intermittently just like the relay/DBT bulb did when I was testing with the relay board/protection in circuit.

Administrator
    Could you take a pic of the driver board and post it. Close enough so we can see the component orientation...

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Sure. I also sent a shot of the row (at the bottom) of 150 Ohm resistors that I replaced near/on the drivers. That is the only component I replaced in that area . All the rest was on the driver board. I took the driver board out when doing the re cap so all of the wires were de soldered and soldered back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_181450.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	30206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_181459.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	30207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_181508.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	30208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_181555.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	30209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_181603.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	30210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_181616.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	30211

Administrator
    In the middle of pic #3, there is a green mylar cap just south of the 40327 TO-39 transistor, is it burnt?

Like my BlueTooth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    In the middle of pic #3, there is a green mylar cap just south of the 40327 TO-39 transistor, is it burnt?
    No Sir, just checked it against the other one on the other side.

Administrator
    Before going further, you should clean the solder flux off the backside of the board. A small chemical brush, or small paint brush and some isopropyl alcohol, and if that won't do it, try some acetone. Keep the board at a pretty good angle so it runs off, but it might take a little scrubbing too...