Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, here I go. Phase Linear 400

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    What happens when you isolate the DC protect board from the rest of the amp? Or have you done that? Was there no connection to the speaker posts during this startup? Did you assemble the DC protect board yourself? Or was it preassembled? I notice some caps missing on the DC protect board...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    "What happens when you isolate the DC protect board from the rest of the amp" ? Not sure what you mean by that if you mean taking out the relay and trying that way I do not remember doing so. There were no connections to the speaker posts during startup, no dummy loads either. I Did assemble the DC protect board myself . Looks like I goofed ??
    Main System: PC-DAC and CD as well as Phonograph in to a Kenwood C2 w B&K 442 amp. Polk Audio SDA-SRS 2 speakers.

Administrator
    Well, that depends, did the kit have some .10uf/100 volt poly caps for C3, C8 and C9?
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    At C9 and C3 on the protect board right ?. That could be the whole problem could it not ? I will check my parts list and see what I missed if that is the way you say I should start...Willing here to listen !
    Main System: PC-DAC and CD as well as Phonograph in to a Kenwood C2 w B&K 442 amp. Polk Audio SDA-SRS 2 speakers.

---
    I bought just the board and sourced from Mouser. Good probability I should have ordered something that I did not.

Administrator
    Yes on the DC protect board. C3, C8, C9. When Don first started selling these DC protect kit we would harvest two of those caps off the original Zoebel network on the original speaker posts.

You changed and/or replaced a lot of things at one time, this might take awhile.

Those caps are in series with those two big resistors on the board, and if they are left out, the resistors should have no effect without the caps. Have you put a meter on the speaker outs to check offset during startup?

---
    You are certainly leading me in the right direction here ! States plainly in the "Phase Linear 400 Relay Parts List from Mr. Don.

C3, C8, C9 Qty 3. .10uF Re use cap from old R/C network on binding post

---
    No Sir I have not. As soon as relays started clicking and lights started flashing I put er down for a later date.

Administrator
    Yep, you have the same parts list I do....Did you install C3 only and leave C8,C9 empty?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by VSAT88 View Post
    No Sir I have not. As soon as relays started clicking and lights started flashing I put er down for a later date.
    OK, but you are sure it cycles bright/dim more than once? And all fuses are still intact?