Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Numbscull question on enclosure design

  1. #1
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Alton Mo.
    Posts
    325
    ---I run with Scissors

    Numbscull question on enclosure design

    If I'm looking at a 12" woofer and the manufacturer recommends a 4 cubic foot sealed box, and I want to use two of them. Can I assume I want an 8 cubic foot box? Or is that not how it works?
    I think I'll buy the BassBox software soon. But it's not at the top of my list, until I get going on the White Oak mods on my 3 amps.

    Thank you for any guidance, Brad

  2. #2
    Forum Veteran Netfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    228
    ---
    Usually, yes that is how it works and usually they are refering to the inside amount of air not the overall size of the box. Also they sometimes give a different size for a ported box. Btw 4 cu ft sounds like a lot for a 12".
    example, click on details in the middle of the page:
    https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_95315....html?tp=68897

  3. #3
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Alton Mo.
    Posts
    325
    ---I run with Scissors
    Thank you. I just used a round number for simplicity's sake. As I am a simpleton.
    I know that I need to calculate in the mass of the drivers themselves & all bracing.
    But not sure if it was as simple as doubling the size for two drivers, or if a special formula is required.
    I appreciate you clearing that up for me.

    Here are the woofs I'm considering:

    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...5-6-12-woofer/

  4. #4
    Forum Veteran Netfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    228
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Thank you. I just used a round number for simplicity's sake. As I am a simpleton.
    I know that I need to calculate in the mass of the drivers themselves & all bracing.
    But not sure if it was as simple as doubling the size for two drivers, or if a special formula is required.
    I appreciate you clearing that up for me.

    Here are the woofs I'm considering:

    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...5-6-12-woofer/
    It's assumed that the speaker will be in the box. So you shouldn't have to calculate anything if there are no internal braces.

    I'm not familiar with that brand. Things you need to decide - Are you running them as a stand alone sub or with passive crossovers to other speakers? 6Ω may be hard to mach to your top end speakers. Also can you amp handle 6Ω subs? What crossover frequency are you planning on? I would set that one at about 120hz. In general that speaker doesn't appear to have a very flat response.

  5. #5
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Alton Mo.
    Posts
    325
    ---I run with Scissors
    I'm just starting the planning phase. This is going to take some time.
    I plan to tri amp with one WOPL 700b & two WOPL 400's
    Lot of work & time needed for me to get those modded.
    I'm looking at Marchand electronic crossover systems & Lee has showed another groovy option he's going with.
    I'm lucky to get a few minutes at a time away from caregiving my paralyzed wife, so this will be sort of a marathon project & plenty of time to change course.
    I need to be careful not to wear out my welcome here over the month's, as I'd be lost without Phoenix.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    laatsch55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Gillette, Wyo.
    Posts
    52,612
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I'm just starting the planning phase. This is going to take some time.
    I plan to tri amp with one WOPL 700b & two WOPL 400's
    Lot of work & time needed for me to get those modded.
    I'm looking at Marchand electronic crossover systems & Lee has showed another groovy option he's going with.
    I'm lucky to get a few minutes at a time away from caregiving my paralyzed wife, so this will be sort of a marathon project & plenty of time to change course.
    I need to be careful not to wear out my welcome here over the month's, as I'd be lost without Phoenix.
    Dude, just being here and asking questions, does not wear out your welcome. You're family now Bud.....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

    "Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

    " I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

    "anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

    " Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

    " You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

    " The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

  7. #7
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Alton Mo.
    Posts
    325
    ---I run with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Dude, just being here and asking questions, does not wear out your welcome. You're family now Bud.....


    Oh I know Lee & I'm very comfortable. It's just that when I let my fingers do my talking, things are not alway's received as intended. And believe it or not.....I can be a real jerk at times! Just ask my wife!!
    I feel like I'm walking among giants here & I presume to know nothing. And assume I'll know much more as the weeks and months roll on & I learn me some tronics.


    Rock on!

  8. #8
    Forum Veteran Netfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    228
    ---
    I've been here a very short time too. So I don't want to be talking out of turn, but I like to help people with what little I know.
    When it comes to picking parts, I'm not up on the latest and greatest stuff, but I do know a bit of theory. A Tri-amp with a 700B on the bottom is going to give you about 518w to each channel at 6Ω, before the WOPL mods which increase power. That's more than double what that 200w speaker can handle. So unless you want to wire four of them together for each channel, I'd pick a better speaker. If you're starting from scratch, maybe you should be thinking 15".

  9. #9
    Forum Veteran WOPL Sniffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,690
    Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by Netfly View Post
    I've been here a very short time too. So I don't want to be talking out of turn, but I like to help people with what little I know.
    When it comes to picking parts, I'm not up on the latest and greatest stuff, but I do know a bit of theory. A Tri-amp with a 700B on the bottom is going to give you about 518w to each channel at 6Ω, before the WOPL mods which increase power. That's more than double what that 200w speaker can handle. So unless you want to wire four of them together for each channel, I'd pick a better speaker. If you're starting from scratch, maybe you should be thinking 15".
    Do not "wire" 2 pairs of speakers together, it may cause serious problems for your amp. I run 110 watt speakers on my WOPL very often (all the time) and the power from the amp is so clean, you DON'T have to use the whole volume knob. Headroom is awesome on a WOPL. You wont have any issues with a 200 wpc set of speakers. I do agree with waiting and not wasting money on bonfire speakers. You get what you pay for...
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

    Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

  10. #10
    Forum Veteran WOPL Sniffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,690
    Screw it
    There is a correct way to connect 2 sets of speakers together and it does NOT include twisting both positive to one post and both negatives to the other.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

    Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •