Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Numbscull question on enclosure design

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    My K's are rated at 100 watts continuous........no shit.....they routinely take 200-300......
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    You can run four speakers in a parallel, series configuration and get the same impedence of the 1 speaker, in this case 6Ω.

Screw it
    Yup, just gotta wire the system correcly and the risk is about gone.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

---
    Let me turn you on to the place I am considering picking up a pair of 15's from. Check out Accustic Elegance. He makes products for Infinite Baffle (2 in the ceiling using attic for "box"), open baffle (just a mounting face....no box), horn loaded, and conventional. I have heard a couple of his setups.....a friend of mine has 4 18's in his ceiling, and I have heard a pair of 12's each in a less than 2 cubic feet sealed in a suburban that with cabin gain.....rattled two fillings and a crown loose.

A word to the wise on power ratings on drivers. I have ran 100 watt drivers off a 300 watt amp all day. There isn't any issues a normal listening levels......it is when you crank up the juice that the issues begin. The ratings are based a lot on how much the voice coils can take. After a long jam session, you can smell the glue heating up on the coils and over time they will get brittle and break.....been there....burnt some you can hear the mechanical limits of a speaker real quick...but pushing thermal limits doesn't start coloring the music till it's too late. It's all in how you listen to your music..... if you like real loud...invest in higher efficiency drivers and speaker designs.....Lee's speakers could rock your world at 50 watts all day long......throw them a couple hundred watts and your ears are bleeding......but so worth it for the visceral effects!!!!
    Last edited by finebar4; 08-22-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Just Another Day in Paradise

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Netfly View Post
    You can run four speakers in a parallel, series configuration and get the same impedence of the 1 speaker, in this case 6Ω.
    You can do this but that configuration kills the damping factor that the amp normally provides. Damping factor essentially is reduced to 1.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    And that is a BAD THING, for we crave damping factor!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Journeyman Member
    ---
    There is a free basic box program called Win ISD. It works good for box alignments. Check it out.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd