Thread: Phase Liner with factory cooling fan

---

Phase Liner with factory cooling fan

Just thought I'd pass this along as I've seen a lot of PL's, but never seen one of these before:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-Linear...kAAOSwzqFY~Rbv

Was this a common option?

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by Netfly View Post
    Just thought I'd pass this along as I've seen a lot of PL's, but never seen one of these before:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-Linear...kAAOSwzqFY~Rbv

Was this a common option?
    That looks easier than buying a 3D printer. I've seen the ad many times. But the price stopped me from looking at the pics.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Yeah, just not many sold....which is a shame...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    I have one of those fans. It was an aftermarket build by a guy on ebay. He used to sell them years ago. Are you sure this was an option for the Phase Linear?

Administrator
    Yes it was...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    Back then, the sticker on the fan seems like it would be expensive to make for an afermarket, smalll quantity run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	30622
    That's what made me guess its a factory piece.

"Just Passin thru"
    Yes As Lee stated,
    This was in fact an option from Phase Linear. PL did not make the fan, just added there label. The fan is a IMC HI FI Boxer Fan model number WS2107f-14.
    If Pl bent up the sheet metal shroud in house would probably be a question for Ed or Dean. But probably farmed out to a local sheet metal shop.
    Phase Linear * Marantz * McIntosh * Sumo * Dahlquist * Altec Lansing * Quick Silver * Bogen * Technics * Win Labs * Carver *

" There is only two kinds of songs; there's the Blues, and there's Zip-a-dee-doo-dah." -- Townes Van Zandt

Forum Veteran
    ---
    The original fan kits were made by a local company in the Northwest for Phase Linear. They were black anodized aluminum (on both sides) as were the sheet metal screws.

A number of years ago I lent an original fan kit to Dean who in turn lent them to someone (whose name will not be repeated for the sake of discussion). This person made copies and sold them on ebay. They were painted black and if my memory serves me correct may have only been painted on one side. The screws were painted black as well. The fans were not 50CFM fan (as Phase Linear had used) but approximately 100CFM (noisy for home use) fans. The stickers were photocopy reproductions and all had the same flaw in one of the circles. The fans were also blowing in the opposite direction than those of the originals. The ebay ad copy claimed that if you didn't buy one of these fans and install them your amp would blow up and in turn take out every other piece preceding it. I notified Dean of this claim in the ad copy. Dean in turn contacted this person and he changed his ad copy. If my memory serves me correct this person was charging somewhere around $149.95 each(?)

NOTE: The black anodizing also is much more scratch resistant than something painted black.

Ed
    Last edited by oldphaser; 10-15-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks for clarifying that Ed....