Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schematic vs parts list - what trumps what?

No such things as bad days, just bad moments

Schematic vs parts list - what trumps what?

I'm re-visiting a project I abandoned a few years ago. It's a mint Teac R2R. When I got it, I was told it had a "something burning inside and making smoke problem" which it did do after being on 30 seconds or so. What was being incinerated was at least one wire wound resistor. Not picking up on the fact something was the cause of that, I replaced the wire wounds and burnt one of those as well.

I posted on TH and got what seemed knowledgable advice from a particular poster but I think he was over his head as further correspondence ceased. The advise I followed up to that point was pretty much useless. Now I have to undo what I did which means replacing a bunch of parts to get it back to stock - if that's possible.

So I went to the parts list in HiFi Engine's SM intending to get more wire wounds, gonna need them anyway. The thought occurred then then to see what voltage should be present and looked at the schematic.

At least one resistor does not jive. According to the parts list, it's identified as R8 but I've yet to find an R8 on the schematic - maybe just illegible script and I missed it. However, a resistor of the same value is marked on the schematic as R6.

There is only one such resistor so is it a safer bet to think the schematic is right and the parts list is wrong? There looks to be a typo in one of them.
    Last edited by 62vauxhall; 08-17-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Gary, if it's one thing I've leaned, it's that documentation canb NOT be taken as gospel, as soooooooo many revisions of this or that were never documented. The boys on AK taught me years ago, it's what's on the board that is right, if the schematic and parts list agree , well, that's icing on the cake....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    I was going to comment, but now all I can think of is the 20 flight rock!!

Maybe I need to get some honey from that honeycomb.............

Can't remember yesterday, but..................I've got that LP locked dowwn up there!

1972?

Administrator
    20 Flight Rock??? WTF....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    Lost in the Ozone Lee..................Lost in the Ozone

Administrator
    Ah.... been there, done that, made the shirt meself...

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Usually the parts list since most schematics are made generic to cover multiple build options.

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I was going to comment, but now all I can think of is the 20 flight rock!!

Maybe I need to get some honey from that honeycomb.............

Can't remember yesterday, but..................I've got that LP locked dowwn up there!

1972?

Is this a "HUH?" Moment????
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    Is this a "HUH?" Moment????
    Nah, I've just had Commander Cody in my head since 1972

When I see his avatar I am 'triggered' A macro agression into my micro mind.

Spare me from your need of emotional rescue
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Nah, I've just had Commander Cody in my head since 1972

When I see his avatar I am 'triggered' A macro agression into my micro mind.

I got a good chuckle ...
    | WOPL | Sony ES | B&W | Rotel | MoFi | AT | Denon | SoundMagic | Ultrasone | Cobalt Cable | PS Audio | Signet | Teac |

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist. .... Salman Rushdie