Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Phase Linear 400 Fan Assembly Project

Journeyman Member
    ---

Phase Linear 400 Fans

Here is how it looks installed on my PL400. I tested the setup over the weekend and it works perfect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PL400 Fan 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	30004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PL400 Fan 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	30005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PL400 Fan 3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	30006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PL400 Fan 4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	30007

Fans are quiet and officiant. I don't hear anything while the amp is idle. Once the sound volume is up and amps temperature increases, my house shakes and the increased fan/moving air speed has no impact.
    Pioneer SX-1250 | Accuphase P-300 | Accuphase C-200 | PL-400

Cerwin Vegas VS-120 | AR 98LSI

Marantz 6300 | Pioneer PL-530

Sony TC-755 | Sony TC-756 | Sony TC-758 | Sony TC-788-4 | Revox B77 | Revox PR99 MKII

Pioneer CT-F1000

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    First production run scheduled? Will we see them on Ebay?

---
    It looks great, beautiful. Truly outstanding workmanship. If you don't mind a suggestion for rev. 2, I think you could improve on the design and it's cooling ability a bit. Move the switch assembly to the outboard, either left or right, because its blocking the center section and actually decreasing thermal dissipation. That center section will retain heat the way you have it now. Then increase the fan diameters to 4". Well done

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Netfly View Post
    It looks great, beautiful. Truly outstanding workmanship. If you don't mind a suggestion for rev. 2, I think you could improve on the design and it's cooling ability a bit. Move the switch assembly to the outboard, either left or right, because its blocking the center section and actually decreasing thermal dissipation. That center section will retain heat the way you have it now. Then increase the fan diameters to 4". Well done
    yes, your are right that the center piece is blocking the area a bit. My first design was to have the control board install on top of the power transformer, seating flat just above it, but i would have to print another piece for that. That would make it 4 pieces all together. Another 6h of printing. I decided to go with this design and see how it does. Thank you your suggestion, Right on point.

Larger fans are an option. i could make design changes to fit 110mm max. For my specific need 80mm fan is the best, i think, since my amp has a case and there is no room for the air to escape. I had to leave opening around the fan for hot air to get out. Units without a case definitely should get larger fans, not because they need it, necessarily, but why not do it since there is room and air can escape on top or bottom.

Sony TC-755 | Sony TC-756 | Sony TC-758 | Sony TC-788-4 | Revox B77 | Revox PR99 MKII

Pioneer CT-F1000

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    First production run scheduled? Will we see them on Ebay?
    im not sure if 3d printing is a way to go for a mass production lol. The way i have it now takes about 24h of print time plus prepping and assembling time. I wont even mention a misprints and other 3D difficulties.

I dont even know if there is a demented for it. I think i could make one for someone but it comes down to $.
    Best way would be to get a plastic injection mold, i could make it as one piece since there is no dimension limitation like i have with my printer, plus price would come down if i ordered a large amount.

Pioneer CT-F1000

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Either way A very interesting project, thanks for sharing.
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    What did you use for the fan controller? I've played around with computer controllers that had a thermocouple sensor. They fit in an exterior drive bay.

For your installation you may want to consider removing the transistor covers. Since theamp is in a cabinet there's no concern of coming in contact with live transistor cases.

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by sebtus View Post
    im not sure if 3d printing is a way to go for a mass production lol. The way i have it now takes about 24h of print time plus prepping and assembling time. I wont even mention a misprints and other 3D difficulties.

I dont even know if there is a demented for it. I think i could make one for someone but it comes down to $.
    Best way would be to get a plastic injection mold, i could make it as one piece since there is no dimension limitation like i have with my printer, plus price would come down if i ordered a large amount.

Heh..Heh.., I was thinking more like sending your file to one of the rapid prototyping outfits like this:

https://xometry.com/urethane-casting

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsabundant View Post
    What did you use for the fan controller? I've played around with computer controllers that had a thermocouple sensor. They fit in an exterior drive bay.

For your installation you may want to consider removing the transistor covers. Since theamp is in a cabinet there's no concern of coming in contact with live transistor cases.
    I did use a computer fan controller as well, There are quiet a few available. The one i got is made in China. You can find them on ebay and other sites as well.

Pioneer CT-F1000