Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phase Linear 400 Fan Assembly Project

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    I need to add some fans to me PL 700B, they drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers (Ohm Is), and the amp does get hot, and will shutdown if I run it too long at a high volumes. The pros had trouble cooling these amps when they were used for sound reinforcement, I doubt a couple of muffin fans will be enough.

But couldn't hurt I guess.
    If your amp is shutting down from heat, you are living on borrowed time. Its like a heart attack for amps. Sooner or later (more likely sooner) we will be having a memorial service for your 700B. To me, my amps are worth way more than any speaker. I'd rethink your strategy. If your car overheated from towing something too heavy, would you not unhook the load before the engine blew? Just me spouting again, sorry.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    I need to add some fans to me PL 700B, they drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers (Ohm Is), and the amp does get hot, and will shutdown if I run it too long at a high volumes. The pros had trouble cooling these amps when they were used for sound reinforcement, I doubt a couple of muffin fans will be enough.

But couldn't hurt I guess.

The pros usually had them in racks of 2 to 4 amps. And had them maxed out to boot. A couple of 4 inch fans are plenty to cool a 700B.
    I run a pair of 8 ohm speaks and turn my fans on when getting radical...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xfghsfh 003.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	29683 I have a few computer fans myself...
    Nothing is misguided to it's creators, only the recipients who didn't want the expectation ruined for them.

---
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    If your amp is shutting down from heat, you are living on borrowed time. Its like a heart attack for amps. Sooner or later (more likely sooner) we will be having a memorial service for your 700B. To me, my amps are worth way more than any speaker. I'd rethink your strategy. If your car overheated from towing something too heavy, would you not unhook the load before the engine blew? Just me spouting again, sorry.
    If my car was overheating because of excessive load I would probably swap in a larger radiator.

The amp will never die, it can be rebuilt, heck last summer I replaced everything except a handful of parts (WOPL build). I love my Ohm speakers, Love my WOPL 700B, gonna pound the amp and the speakers into the ground, then rebuild them. I will add fans with an automatic fan control and blaze away, get the CPR paddles ready!

This board has been a little light on the repair, build side of things anyway.

---
    Hi Billboard,
    I run a PL700 Series II and Ohm I's too. I do love these spearkers http://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/i/ and they can sure suck the power out of most amp.
    My rule is if the power meters are to the right of half way, turn on the fan. By that time it's so loud you don't hear the fan anyway. I use a small box fan from behind, diagonally across the fins. I have the PL raised on 4 small wooden blocks, so air flows above, below and around it. Never had a shut down due to heat. Hope this helps.

Journeyman Member
    ---
    An update on the project:
    i had to make some design adjustment before i could print. The printer had a hard time to figure out how to print everything. i had to simplify some of the sections to make it more print friendly. Once i did that i went to printing only to realize i don't have enough ABS filament to get this thing printed, i have PLA but its melting point is lower that ABS. ABS on order and i should get it soon.

Btw what is the safe heatsink temp for pl400 with the WOPL upgrade?

Another observation is that my left channel heatsink, the very last fin is pushed in by the transformer housing, about 5 mm. Is that for all of them? anybody knows?
    Pioneer SX-1250 | Accuphase P-300 | Accuphase C-200 | PL-400

Cerwin Vegas VS-120 | AR 98LSI

Marantz 6300 | Pioneer PL-530

Sony TC-755 | Sony TC-756 | Sony TC-758 | Sony TC-788-4 | Revox B77 | Revox PR99 MKII

Pioneer CT-F1000

Administrator
    Should be plumb and square, no biggie if not as long as the outputs mount up flat. No hard figures on heats ink temp, if it feels hot it is hot..
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Screw it
    If my car was overheating because of excessive load I would probably swap in a larger radiator.

The amp will never die, it can be rebuilt, heck last summer I replaced everything except a handful of parts (WOPL build). I love my Ohm speakers, Love my WOPL 700B, gonna pound the amp and the speakers into the ground, then rebuild them. I will add fans with an automatic fan control and blaze away, get the CPR paddles ready!

This board has been a little light on the repair, build side of things anyway.
    Remind me not to buy any of your abused equipment.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Update:
    I am printing left housing as i write this. I had a bit and issue with the misprint due to print coming off the print-bed and i have to use a "special" ABS solution to make it stick, it should work. I am 45% done on 3rd attempt (first with the ABS juice) and it is looking good so far.

This is the final design for fan assembly:

Name:	Left fan.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	29832

I had all my parts and my middle (control) part is ready for print.

Name:	power brridge 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	29833
    Pioneer SX-1250 | Accuphase P-300 | Accuphase C-200 | PL-400

Cerwin Vegas VS-120 | AR 98LSI

Marantz 6300 | Pioneer PL-530

Sony TC-755 | Sony TC-756 | Sony TC-758 | Sony TC-788-4 | Revox B77 | Revox PR99 MKII

Pioneer CT-F1000

Administrator
    Pretty cool bud...